General East Lansing Development

Comments

• On second thought that apartment company already exists, I think their offices are just in that building: https://www.aihitdata.com/company/017E3C1E/RED-DOOR-APARTMENTS/overview . Ah, that makes more sense.
  • OK there is already a second floor cafetaria: https://www.glassdoor.com/Photos/First-National-Bank-of-America-Office-Photos-IMG642767.htm . Place looks pretty cool inside actually, have never been but on the first floor.
  • Jared reported on this back in late March, but the LSJ has a story of this morning concerning the road diet on Harrison between Lake Lansing and Saginaw. I said it back when we discussed it, but I'm so glad this is also a repaving, because it's the worst road I've driven on in East Lansing.
    EAST LANSING – The northern portion of Harrison Road will have undergone a “road diet” by the time a construction project is done in late summer.

Steven Roach, City of East Lansing design engineer, said when the road is complete there will be one lane in each direction with a center turn lane. The restriped road will also include a bike lane in each direction.

Roach said the work will also include sidewalk and sewer repair where needed, plus repairs in soft areas below the road surface prior to repaving. The repaving will be welcome news to drivers who have had to endure ruts, potholes and patches.

Harrison Road will be closed in both directions between Saginaw Street and Lake Lansing Road from June 13 to August 19.
  • I was at the Art Festival, which is great, lots to see,lots of very nice art work. What I noticed also is that East Lansing's streets are as bad as anywhere. The sidewalks and ally are so broken and dirty it's kind of gross and dangerous.The street is full of cracks and holes. The same goes for the lot they have the food court in. Just a bit of patchwork sweep up and wash down,maybe planting a few flowers,would have been nice. This festival brings thousands of people to E.L. Why not put the best face forward.
  • edited May 2016
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2016/05/24/costco-seeks-open-east-lansing/84855892/

East Lansing is landing a Costco. Facebook chatter says that the company was eyeing the Flowerland location or the Waverly golf course location but were denied by the local townships. Sucks for those of us that frequent the west side more than BFE Lake Lansing.
  • Nice to hear but I wish that would have been closer to one of the urban cores. Getting CostCo near downtown Lansing could be huge, and there is definitely the space for it.
  • gbinlansing I've had exactly that thought - they have these booths in the street, and I've seen people stumble and fall because of uneven pavement and mini-potholes. It's embarrassing. And unkind.
  • I don't like the out of the way location that they're choosing at all, but I wouldn't want a Costco or similar big box store anywhere in the urban core either. I think that the former Waverly golf course would've been about perfect but Lansing twp ensured that wont happen. I'm glad to see a Costco coming to town though, I haven't shopped there but I've heard nothing good things about them.
  • I think a great place for a Costco would be the big lot on Lake Lansing Rd. next to Eastwood, keep the big boxes in the same neighborhood.

Does East Lansing have a downtown business association? Maybe they would be the ones to write on bad street and sidewalk issue.
    I have been thinking that such associations could be offered paving materials from a city for free or at a discount and then contract repaving and cleaning of the streets in front of the local businesses or homes in neighborhoods themselves. I think some of the legalities could be worked out regarding public streets if it is really just a repair and maintenance not rebuilding the street. Local institutions like MSU and LCC take care of their public ways much better, I think maybe a homeowner's or business owner's association could be thought of the same way as an institution and be allowed repair and clean the their local public ways. I think that it is terrible that we should have to consider such an idea but I read that to fix the roads here in Michigan is going to take until 2024 and cost 15 billion dollars. Are we just suppose just wait?
  • Costco sucks. Never been to one but I know it sucks. It does seem to be a destination so I agree with Jared - having it near downtown Lansing would bring a lot of people to the core of the city. Anywhere else is just contributing to nasty sprawl, bad driving habits, and an already dated sense of what's important to a community. Way to stay fitteen years behind the times EL!