General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Okay, so the southeast corner. My other issue was that I'd oritented myself wrong, so I was thinking of the Collingwood Entrance, and that had me REALLY confused as to where something this big would go. lol

• edited February 2017

I guess at this point there's not much more to say other than that this will be a pretty big project. The only hint it gives about the specific location is that the development will take up two lots that total 46k sq ft. My money's on this being at the corner of Bogue and Grand River with the biggest question being will the second parcel be the one to the south or east of 7/11.

• I hope it's along Bogue or Grand River. Putting this in the middle of that neighborhood will be really awkward.

• edited February 2017

It's along Grand River, replacing 7-11 and Georgio's Pizza.

https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/AssessingServices/ServiceAssessingSearchResults.aspx?i=1&on=core+campus&appid=0&unit=138 is the list of properties that Core Campus Lansing owns.

918 E GRAND RIVER AVE - The 7-11
    926 E GRAND RIVER AVE - The PNC ATM connected to 7-11 (a bit odd that the address is higher than 7-11 considering it is east of the 7-11)
    1010 E GRAND RIVER AVE - Georgio's Pizza

I hope the new development will contain retail on the first floor, to replace these businesses and considering that it's on the retail stretch of the neighborhood.

Also, I just used Google Maps' measurement tool to verify the size of the two lots together. Rough measurements are 326x142, which is about 46,292 sq ft. The Assessor's website doesn't list lot sizes for these properties oddly enough.

• I was just thinking of this development, then you've got the new Stonehouse, and now possibly the Lifestyle and Park District (and then down the road SkyVue to speak nothing of Red Cedar Renaissance). This is REALLY a case to be made for the BRT, because as bad as traffic can be on the boulevard it's going to get worse. There is no way to simply put more buses on the road to absorb all of this traffic. You're going to need the more spacious/larger capacity buses the BRT will provide and the dedicated transit lane to bypass auto traffic.

• I agree, I think they should just cut Meridian Twsp. out of the plan.

• edited March 2017

Jared, looks like the LSJ is reporting on this. This seems to be to remove the requirement trying to integrate (by income) Cedar Village.

EAST LANSING – The city might eliminate a decade-old requirement intended to bring older residents to a part of town dominated by student housing in order to lure in new development.

East Lansing City Council wants to get rid of an owner-occupancy requirement in East Village, a 35-acre area on the south side of Grand River Avenue between Bogue Street and Hagadorn Road, which mandates that developers market 50% of new units as owner-occupied condos until that demographic makes up 25% of the district’s population. Today, the population is entirely students, city officials say.

The city has seen Cedar Village as a place to break up for years as they've always blamed it for student riots. I was always ambivalent about that requirement as I never saw the simple density of students as the only (or even biggest) problem as it concerned disturbances. I'm kind of glad they are looking to get rid of it. Times have changed; students are more responsible than even the recent past.

The other big thing is that it was almost single-handedly the reasons for all of the student housing being developed way out in the Nothern Tier last decade. Had they not been so scared of student housing in the core, East Lansing would have developed very differently in the last decade.

Core Campus is the developer looking at Cedar/East Village. Perhaps now all discussion should be focused in a Cedar/East Village thread.

• edited March 2017

Yeah, it was cool to scoop the LSJ by about 4 days :smile:

I think it's worth mentioning that we may have seen some of the drought of development in the Cedar Village area due to the recession that came through around 2007. It seems that we are now at the point where the Lansing area is starting to get back to about 90% of what it was prior to the recession. The millenial generation is really interested in living in cities, so this spells a good future for development in the inner cities here and elsewhere.

Also, a new charter school is being proposed in East Lansing, at the corner of Coolidge Rd and Coleman Rd. I was surprised to see so many people move out to the Northern Tier without a neighborhood school. I think ELPS is missing out here, and it's sad to see that a charter school will be filling the void. This puts more pressure on ELPS to get their bond proposal to build new elementary schools passed, the last one they attempted failed.

Details on the new charter school: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/03/02/new-charter-school-planned-east-lansing/98577620/

• They should have never closed Red Cedar Elementary in the first place, quite frankly, but that's only tagentially related.

• I agree. If the student size is shrinking then lower the amount of classrooms, but closing down neighborhood schools is terrible for the neighborhood and property values. It also looks like it is costing them far more money to reopen the school since it sat unused for so long now.