General Lansing Development

Comments

• I noticed that on my way to school today. I'm very glad to see this wasn't just talk.
  • Anyone catch the update about the Delux Inn situation in the LSJ? It's the first time I ever heard the city say, in print, that they want to see high-rise apartments, here. So far, they've already gotten two developers interested in the site. One wants to simply renovate the existing structures (the city would never let that fly), and another expressed interest in building a new mixed-use building at the site.

I'd always imagined this stretch of Washington serving as a sort of residential "backhouse" high-rise district that serve downtown. The housing here would be more affordable (for college students, lower-level state workers, etc), while the riverfront in downtown would be for luxury housing. Given that you already have Washington Apartments and Fountain Apartments on this stretch, it only makes sense to put up something of a high-rise variety at Main and Washington.
  • I caught the article too. It would be nice to see the mixed use project come through. I have more hope for projects that are being proposed within this economy since they already know how bad it is and are still proposing a project. Hopefully we can start to see something materialize here.

The old Silver Dollar night club had it's proposal deadline on July 21st, so hopefully there will be an announcement of the possible proposals or an accepted one.
  • I think it would be awesome to see that stretch of Washington with mid and high-rises. I think thats fairly realistic too, especially if this project ends up going well..
  • Unlike some some luxury products bring proposed in this market (i.e. Capitol Club), I don't have a doubt in my mind that Lansing could support a few moderately-priced high-rises geared towards students and state workers. Something of significant height tailored for the student market could definitely be built and filled even in this economy and I don't get why more developers haven't proposed such products. Everyone's trying to hit it big with luxury and are finding major obstacles.
  • edited August 2009
    There weren't a lot of surprises in Lansing's council and mayoral primaries, tonight, outside of the fact that Jessica York, one of Lansing's biking/pedestrian advocate, pulled out an impressive first-place finishing in that ward's primary besting her nearest opponent, perennial candidate Chris Lewless, by seven points. If she makes it in November, she'll bring a very progressive and fresh view of things to the council. I didn't expect her to do that well; political outsiders don't usually do too well in that ward.

Outside of that it appears Sandy Allen will cruise to victory in November to continue representing the 2nd Ward (Southeast & South-Central Lansing), Kathie Dunbar and Brian Jeffries look as if they'll retain their at large seats, and the inevitable Carol Wood-Virg Bernero blood match just became official. Carol placed just a bit higher than I expected she would.

The only other election story worth note in Metro Lansing is that Clinton County overwhelmingly renewed its transit millage by nearly 80%.
  • It's nice to see and hear about some concepts, even if they are just concepts.
    The Knapps Building: What If?

This one's not really a big surprise, but it's good news none the less.
    Wharton ranks among best in world in ticket sales
  • One of the store fronts on Washtenaw immediately next to the Knapps building has major internal construction. Currently, the sidewalk in front of the space is fenced off and the sidewalk is torn up down to the dirt. Not sure what's going on in there.
  • Also, the field next to LCC's University Center at Capitol and Genesee is tore up, construction equipment on site...are they underway for building their new parking ramp?

There was a small story a while back that Joel Ferguson might buy the North Capitol ramp from the city and then sell it to LCC to get the issue resolved, I guess that never went any further cause I haven't heard anything since.
  • Does anybody know what kind of work is being done on the southern exterior wall of the Firm? There is a bunch of scaffolding up now.