General Lansing Development

Comments

• Looks like CBRE Lansing is actively marketing the 2.09 acres of the former Deluxe Inn site on Washington and 496/Malcolm X. A few additional facts? It's zoned DM-4, which I believe is Lansing's highest density all-residential density, and allows for 87.1 units/acre. They are marketing this as a mixed-use, high-rise opportunity.
  • I thought I remember the Land Bank sending out a request for proposals, I wonder what happened with that?
  • edited September 2014
    The news had a little photo essay on the construction at REACH Art Studio down in REO Town.

reach3ds1182.jpg
    Matthew Dae Smith | Lansing State Journal

reach2ds0988.jpg

reach11ds1048.jpg]
  • Maybe, this will get a formal announcement, but the owners of the old Walter French school at the southwest corner of Cedar and Mt. Hope are requesting a rezoning of the property to allow a conversion of the building into mixed-usage (retail, office and apartments). This is from a public hearing in the City Pulse.

Speedway is also trying, for the nth time, to expand their gas station at Michigan and Clemens by requesting a renozing of properties to the north.
  • I noticed a few days ago when I was by the Penfil Apartments that they had finished rebuilding the collapsed wall and had started putting in windows. I was a bit worried that they weren't going to follow through on the renovation or that they would drag their feet, I'm really glad to see it coming along.
  • The Michigan Flyer is trying to move forward with building a terminal on their lot that they own at the corner of Michigan Ave and US-127 (the old Bud Kouts used car lot). They ideally would want to put a hotel and/or coffee shop there to go along with the terminal.

I'm sad to see their operations move away from downtown East Lansing, but this new location has a few nice benefits:
    - It's centrally located between Lansing and East Lansing
    - It's serviced by CATA Route 1 which has frequent service and reaches multiple cities
    - Located right next to the freeway so easy on/off for the bus
    - The addition of a hotel and/or coffee shop will provide a warm place for people to sit white waiting for the bus or their pick-up.
  • This is some more good news for Michigan Ave. I wonder what their plan is exactly though, it says that they will spend $1.6 million to redevelop the site and build a temporary terminal, then they will seek a development partner to build a hotel/office building. I wonder how temporary this "temporary" terminal will be?
  • Yeah, it's hard for me to see $1.6 million creating a "temporary" terminal. Seems like enough money to put in a building that can maybe be part of the large plan? What makes this terminal different than most is that Michigan Flyer usually only has one bus waiting at a time with only the one route. They may be planning on using this for all Indian Trails buses (which currently go to the main CATA station in Lansing). I'd love to see something like the Rosa Parks Transit Center that Detroit has.
  • The demolition at Oldsmobile Park started a few days ago in preperation for the Outfield.
  • That's certainly good to hear. I was wondering how long it'd take to see work start on that, I'll have to try to get by there soon.