General Lansing Development

Comments

• Has anyone seen the site plan for Michigan Flyer's "temporary" depot along Michigan Avenue between Detroit and Howard on the eastside? Apparently, "construction" has already started which included the demolition of some old single family homes on the site. The City Pulse says that the site will include 160 to 170 parking spaces, and then the area for the buses. I see no mention of the construction of any canopies or waiting areas. What this sounds like at the moment is a glorified parking lot, and that seems like an awful amount of parking for such a service, which has operated effectively with very little long-term parking since its inception. I've noticed all too often parking lots being called "transit centers."
  • I haven't seen a site plan. When they mentioned that they were planning a larger development later on I kinda figured they'd do something shoddy in the meantime. Hopefully they at least make the parking lot look nice and their office/hotel development comes together quickly.
  • edited December 2014
    Something is going up out at the Meridian Mall:
    OKEMOS – The owner of the Meridian Mall is proposing to build a standalone retail building near the mall’s main entrance that will have a drive-thru lane and outdoor seating.

The 7,000-square-foot outlot building would be located to the west of the mall’s main entrance on Grand River Avenue, according to preliminary site plans submitted to Meridian Township officials. The building would have a drive-thru lane with space for six vehicles and outdoor seating.

While mall officials have not said what type of tenant the building would have, a drive-thru and outdoor seating area would suggest a restaurant.

Kebs’ website, although not specifically referencing the outlot project, says it has been working with Meridian Mall on a “redesign of the parking facilities, utilities, storm sewer and green space for a 125,000-square-foot, multi-building addition to the existing mall. Designs incorporated a future outlot expansion and preparation for a standalone restaurant site centered in a reconstructed parking area.”

The site plans also show additional outlot buildings labeled “future” near existing standalone Chili’s and Olive Garden restaurants on the mall’s Marsh Road side and near Studio C movie theater.

The mall has combined several existing storefronts to make room for larger retailers. Swedish retail chain H&M Hennes & Mauritz AB opened a 20,000-square-foot H&M clothing store in June. Planet Fitness, a gym franchise based in Newington, New Hampshire, opened in the Macy’s Inc. anchor wing in January.

The mall currently is building a roughly 20,000-square-foot addition near the J.C. Penney Co. Inc. department store anchor wing. Omaha, Nebraska-based Gordmans Inc., which sells apparel and home decor, plans to open a roughly 50,000-square-foot store with the conversion of existing retail space as well as the new construction. An opening date has not been released, but the store confirmed it will open in the fall of 2015.

We'd already heard about the stuff in the last paragraphs; hadn't heard about the expansion in the outlots, though. Looks like things are picking back up as the economy has improved.
  • A drive through with space for six vehicles could mean a Sonic, it would be a vastly better location than Penn and 96. The article is very vague about everything else, just saying that they plan multiple new out buildings.
  • Ugh. I'm glad we're not being left with an empty building, but this seems like such a waste.
    LANSING – The Michigan State Police will move its headquarters out of its downtown location to the State Secondary Complex in Eaton County as part of a broad reorganization of state workers meant to ultimately save $30 million.

Caleb Buhs, a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Technology, Management & Budget, said DTMB, the Department of Insurance and Financial Services, the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs and the Michigan Department of Community Health will shuffle to new buildings, allowing state workers to leave the Capitol View Building. Stopping that lease will save the state $30 million over 10 years, Buhs said.

He said the MDCH will move into the MSP's current headquarters on Grand Avenue.

The state Senate plans to move into the Capitol View Building.

Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue, MSP director, informed MSP employees of the decision this morning.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/capitol/2015/01/14/msp-move-hq-downtown-lansing/21754937/

I guess the silver lining is that more workers are being moved downtown, but doesn't say if it will be fewer or more than is being moved out with the MSP move.
    Etue's announcement said "five state agencies are involved in a series of moves" as part of the MSP relocation. State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said other state workers will be moved into the downtown Lansing building as part of a consolidation of state workers.

While MSP at that particular site wasn't ideal, I am not a fan of the location of the secondary complex.
  • Are they going to take down the steel fence that is surrounding MSP? The headquarters looks more like a jail than an office building.
  • The new tenants certainly won't need the same level of security, but I'd doubt they'd take the fence down. In fact, I'd bet MDCH will think of this as an added amenity. In my dreams, the city would end up building a parking garage a block to the south as they originally planned, which would allow them to turn to old River Street triangle behind the building into public plaza.

But, I bet very little changes at the site with the move. They'll probably remove the guard booth at the entranc, and that's about it.
  • I think it's silly that there were even fences to begin with. Buildings in large cities like New York can operate just fine without fences. Some of them use large planters and others have pedestrian benches to stop people from driving cars into the building. The MSP Headquarters offers an interesting narrative between who the fence is protecting though.
  • It's funny, I didn't much mind the fence since it was tucked away, and they did a decent job with the berms out front. Had they set the building back to the river and built the fence around an open field, I'd find it pretty horrible. I was actually not too mad about how the complex turned out. I do wish, however, that this site hadn't gone to the state.
  • Not surprising to see this. The move should have very little effect on downtown in the short term, but it would seem that this would make an expansion of the building a little more likely at some point in the future.

BTW, I doubt the City has forgotten about the proposed parking ramp south of Kalamazoo, I consider it almost an inevitability.