General Lansing Development

Comments

• A few things that popped up today:

- Neogen is renovating the empty Superior Office Equipment building up on Shiawassee for manufacturing space. I've ridden my bike by this building for years. I'd always assumed Neogen was using it, anyway. Apparently, Neogen is already renovating it. The building is nearly 100 years old and sits next door to another Neogen property.

- Lake Trust will be announcing on Monday what it plans to do with its former headquarters in downtown Lansing off Capitol. The article in the LSJ makes mention of potential new buildings, but doesn't say if the current tower would be demolished. What they make clear is the property will be mixed usage.
  • I've always really wanted to see that warehouse on Shiawassee turned into lofts, but it's still great to see it get some attention.

I'm really interested to see what this Lake Trust redevelopment is. I can't really imagine any situation in which they'd tear down the current building, it's not that old, has a concrete or steel structure and looks to be in good shape. I do think that they would be very smart to put a new facade on it though, and it seems somewhat likely that they would. In the article it says that those new buildings will be built "with the help of local developers," I wonder whether those developers are already lined up or if this is all just conceptual. I'll be a little disappointed if this announcement is only for some vague, unfunded concept.
  • edited October 2014
    The LSJ is very clear that this is a preliminary rendering...

laketrustrendering.jpg

...so it just shows basic massing. I couldn't imagine them not building something up to the streetfront, but I'm still glad to see that. This parking lot should have been filled in long ago. The height seems appropriate. Glad to see they didn't cop-out with some two story buildings.
  • Yeah, I'd agree that the height and scale of the buildings is good. Now just to wait for the official announcement to see just how vague and far off this project is.
  • Two big news items today for Lansing.

1. Sparrow has announced plans for a new Cancer Wing at their Michigan Ave campus. It will be located across the street on the Bingham Elementary property that they purchased. The office building will be 5-stories tall and there will also be a 4-story parking deck with ground-floor retail. They also announced a new 3-story medical office building at Grand River Ave and US 127. This will replace the current Lansing Medical Dental Building.

2. Another project has been proposed for the Ottawa and Butler property. David Ferguson, son of Joel Ferguson, is proposing 72 new townhouses and apartments. The Michigan Association of Broadcasters would build a 9,000-square-foot building on the site. The other components would be two four-story buildings with ground floor commercial and housing in the upper floors. It also would offer 28 rowhouse-style condos and townhomes. David Ferguson was the developer behind the row houses in Old Town on Turner Street.

I'm most excited about the ground floor retail of the parking deck that Sparrow is building. The Sparrow stretch of Michigan Ave is severely lacking in commercial within that long block, and so this is a promising first step towards diversification of businesses/activities for the neighborhood.
  • edited November 2014
    Rendering of the medical office building at Grand River & 127:

B9315163864Z.1_20141119160350_000+G1495OAN5.1-0.jpg

I actually like the current medical office building on site, but not so much bettere that I'm against this replacement.

What I'm interested in in the new cancer center is whether the buildings will both be oriented onto Michigan stretching back along the lot, or will the cancer center be on the back lot (Bingham) and the parking garage on the lot fronting Michigan? It sounds like the latter, and I'd actually like to see it reversed.

Prelim rendering of the former SOBI block:

B9315180498Z.1_20141119150506_000+G2B962OC3.1-0.jpg

B9315180498Z.1_20141119150506_000+G2B962OBO.1-0.jpg

I really like the townhomes. The second rendering is of the mixed use buildings. I guess the MBA headquarters weren't shown, because they haven't designed it yet. I'd be interested to see the site plan on this one to see how everything is oriented. Anyway, lots of great development news in the past few months. Things had gotten kind of slow and now things are heating back up. I still predict that when we see city census estimates next July that Lansing will have finally turned the corner for the first time in many years.
  • After looking at the site plan, and watching WILX's video, I'm pretty sure that second rendering is the headquarters building.

Site plan from WLNS:
    OttawaampButler.jpg

I'm liking this project. The townhomes look great, the headquarters looks good and the site plan seems well thought out. At four floor the mixed use buildings are taller than I expected, which is a good thing, I hope the neighborhood doesn't interfere. This seems like it's the best proposal the site's had out of them all, I really hope it doesn't flop.

Regards to Sparrow, I'm also curious to whether the parking garage will take up all the Michigan frontage, I'd also rather see the Michigan frontage split between the buildings. I'm pretty anxious to see what they're building there though, it won't be large project by Sparrow standards as of late but it will be important since it sounds like it's filling in an entire block. I think the ground floor retail is especially great,it should set a good precedent for future Sparrow development along Michigan.
  • Thanks for the site plan. Yeah, with that site plan, it does seem clearer now that the second rendering is of the office building. It's a very nice layout, and addresses the concerns of the neighborhood (putting the taller stuff along Ottawa and the residential along the "back" part of the block nearest the neighborhood).

As for the cancer center, while it's not going to be particularly tall, four stories (plus the mechanical floor on top) will certainly make an impact on the area, particularly if this all takes up the whole block. What I'm also interested in is how they will do traffic in the area. They routed Eureka onto Holmes Street when they built the professional building, and I'm wondering if they won't somehow block off Bingham Street on the westside of the site and try to turn it into some kind of driveway, or take the current driveway from the professional building and work it into their plan? Has this stuff hit the city council yet? It'd be in the packet for sure.
  • According to the LSJ article, it hasn't hit the City Council yet. Quoting, "Sparrow wrote in a rezoning request to the city of Lansing. The project's rezoning request will have a public hearing Dec. 2 before the city's planning board."
  • MLive is reporting that the Michigan State Senate is still on track to lease out the basement and the first seven floors of Capitol View, which will be owned by the Michigan Strategic Fund. Apparently, this was done because the House has refused to move on the original plan.