General Lansing Development

Comments

• There was a mural up on the building for years until fairly recently.
  • Well then, that takes care of that I guess...
  • For reference here's a picture of the mural:

231635358_580341eb5d.jpg
  • I remember that mural! One of the first things that struck me about Lansing.
  • This is a small thing, but the burned-out former medical office on the west side of Aurelius about halfway between Forest and Cavanaugh has been torn down. It happened sometime in the last couple days. Not sure if they are doing anything with that piece of property, but it's nice to have that gone.
  • I have said something similar about lighting along the trail especially downtown and under the bridges. It's kind of creepy walking under the wide bridges even when there is no one down there, really creepy if there is. Of course nothing has ever happened other than being asked for a hand out, but I am a pretty big guy,I'm not sure I would want to be a woman alone walking. So make those places bright and even interesting, Under Mich. Ave the light could hi-light the old stone foundation buttresses that are really nice stone. I am going to join the Friends of the River trail and bring up these suggestions.
    I never saw the mural on the side of the old Masonic Temple [Cooley Law School] it looked really great. They are trying to sell the building so that could be the reason the mural is no longer there. There is a nice new mural on the side of the Jerusalem Bakery on Michigan Ave. It is great to see all the new street art around town.
    I was wondering how long did it take before they removed the burned out building. The printing shop on Malcolm X burned over a year ago and is still a big pile of junk.
  • I'm pretty sure that it was there when I moved to the south side in 03. I don't remember for sure though.
  • Clean-up on the vacant GM sites have been going on, and it's caught people's attention, particularly since there has been talk behind the scenes for months now that there is interest from manufacturers in the site. Clean-up of contaminated impacted soil is just about done at the former site of Plant 6, 90% done at Plant 3, and 70% done at Plant 2. Seems like they've sped up work because whoever is interested in the sites is getting anxious.
  • Do you mean that it was burned out when you moved to the south side in '03? Wow that would be a long time. I hope they move sooner on the print shop.

It is always strange to drive by the empty expanse on the west side, with 1,000 jobs it would seem to be a big operation. I wonder what could fill all those sites?
  • edited December 2015
    Another interesting little piece of place-making is going up at the western entrance to Lansing. The Saginaw Oakland Commercial Association, Old Oakland Neighborhood Association, and Westside Neighborhood Association are looking to put up a plaza at the convergence of Oakland and Saginaw and connect a paved trail (and decorative on-street crosswalk) to it that will go through the adjacent Dunnebacke and West Side parks just north of the convergence with the trail connecting to the Saginaw Street bike lane.

The Point West Art and Trail project is crownfunding this. They have raised $7,000 of the $13,000 which if met will be matched to help toward the total cost of the project.