General Lansing Development

Comments

• I can actually see that building from my office right now, I see the mural/billboard/banner thing you're talking about.
  • MichMatters, could it have been that they were hoping to wait until BRT construction? I always figured it would be sort of killing two birds with one stone. Though the sooner it's fixed, the better and now that BRT is delayed, hopefully it's happens quick.

With the new apartment buildings going up in the vicinity, they're not exactly putting their best foot forward to potential residents.
  • That would certainly be a decent reason, but I've heard nothing that the city is coordinating with CATA on this. I also say only decent reason, too, because we see how often transit projects can be delayed with this one being no exception. If we're waiting for the BRT, the road may be gravel by then. lol
  • BRT has been pushed back to some point after 2018, right? If that's the case then there's no way they can wait to repave it. I'd think the best thing to do would be large properly done patches over the worst parts of the road, like they did on Mt Hope. Then they can do the full repaving and streetscaping along with the BRT project. Michigan Ave is really important, it'd be unacceptable to leave it as bad as it is for two or three more years.
  • I've almost come to see it as just the scenery as it's been up for a very long time but has there been any news on the Flats at Prudden Wheel between Saginaw and Oakland? It says "Coming in 2016" (which I swear once said 2015 though I could be wrong), but I have yet to see any developments going on in the area.
  • I searched back through the site because I remember talking about them, and made a post for Metro Flats back in March of 2014. I remarked on the sign in July of last year, and even then it said 2016. Haven't really heard anything on them sense. Maybe someone can remind the media about this...
  • edited December 2015
    Great to see a business move to a neighborhood center. A small brew-pub will be moving to 1621 East Kalamazoo on the strip that includes the Allen Street Market:
    Sleepwalker Spirits and Ale to open Lansing pub

LANSING – After a year of brewing in a commercial kitchen and running a business out of storage closet, Sleepwalker Spirits & Ale will soon move into its own storefront.

Co-owner Matt Jason said the business is close to securing the $125,000 it needs to open a micropub at 1621 E. Kalamazoo St. on the same block as the Allen Market Place, where Sleepwalker operates out of a 200-square-foot taproom

Jason expects to start renovating the 5,000 square foot storefront in January. The duo are looking into buying larger brewing equipment, as well. The pub will seat 60 people and have roughly 12 beers on tap, among them Scotchy Scotch Ale, Imperial Stout and a few IPAs.

• Things seem to be looking up for 1600 block of Kalamazoo, the Allen St Farmers Market seems poised to continue expanding and improving while their presence also makes other business more willing to set up nearby. It seems like I remember other good news for this block, anyone remember hearing anything?

I'm really glad to see Kalamazoo getting some love as a commercial corridor in general. I expect Kalamazoo St will remain mostly residential, but I'd love to see the handful of commercial properties get small 2-3 floor mixed use buildings, it'd go a long ways towards helping out the surrounding neighborhoods.
  • GM is adding a third shift at Lansing Grand River, which means 500 new jobs. This willl be the first time since very early in the plant's existence that they will go 24-hours. This means the plant will employ nearly 2,300, which is a big deal for the local economy.
  • edited January 2016
    Not to get too political, but this is good news for regionalism in the metro area:
    Lansing Township Supervisor Kathy Rodgers to leave job

LANSING TWP. - Township Supervisor Kathy Rodgers, 68, is looking forward to the next chapter of her life.

After more than 27 years in township government, Rodgers plans to retire on Feb. 29 so she can spend more time with her family. Rodgers' current term ends in November, so an interim supervisor position is expected to be filled on or after March 1.

"I was batting it around for a while," Rodgers said of the decision. "I went back and forth."

Couldn't even finish out the term. lol I imagine she's trying to get her son into the spot like she did for his current job as township treasurer where she literally waited until the day before the filing deadline to announce she wasn't running for re-election to that post, and then her son filled to run and unopposed since everything thought she was still running. If he's appointed, he gets a running head start for the election in November. Hopefully, there's a challenger.