General Lansing Development

Comments

• I agree and I knew about the other issues as well. Still they put them up in a town where artist would often paint night scenes that featured the light from the old style lamps. I guess W. Saginaw has never had ascetics as part of any plan, a bit more ugly might not really matter, and they do light brightly.
  • Saw this yesterday and was wondering what it was, but they are turning up dirt at Fairview Elementary on the east side. It's highly visible as its between Saginaw and Grand River in the biggest open space that runs through the middle of the east side. Anyway, it's part of the Lansing School District's restructuring which will make Pattengill into the new high school, which will require moving grades 4-8 of the middle school to a new expansion at Fairview which is currently K-3. The expansion will also include a preschool grade level, so the new Fairview will be Pre K-8 when this is done.

636150638771454408-Fairview3.JPG

The work at Pattengill will include the addition of a third floor classroom wing, expansion of the cafeteria and a new gym and fitness room.
  • I was sad to see that the city has filled the tree spaces in the sidewalk along W Kalamazoo next to the library with black top. Does this mean trees with not be planted there? The whole library area could use some help. The garden spaces look abandoned and the windows of the building are very dirty. Why? The lack of trees on W Kalamazoo gives a kind of gritty appearance to that whole block, and makes the area feels less than a welcoming place for children and others going to the library.
  • There's a news story today regarding some renovations to the downtown library, maybe it's related to that?

Downtown Lansing Library closing this month for renovations
  • That would be very nice if they are including landscaping in this project. I think if they also put city hall in the Lake Trust building that this will help develop the area.The whole area could use some help. I am not afraid to walk down that block, but I could see how some people might avoid that area. I think that many folks who have to leave shelters for the day come to this area to sit in the park or go to the package store. I think they should open a day shelter to give folks a place to go during the day, this may solve the problem of people hanging out all in one area. I was also surprised to see the police action taking place the other day on my walk to the library. I know this stuff goes on everywhere, but it was a bit unnerving to see happening on the street where I live.
  • edited December 2016
    The police found a meth lab on Washington above Barberettes, so maybe that's what you saw. BTW, down on their luck folks camp out in this area because it's right around the bus station. The neighborhood south of the park is also low income. Kalamazoo is not so bad because you have the college right there; things only get sketchy when you start to go a bit further south. Even still, it's improved from even ten years ago. As Washington filled up - and particularly the apartments in the 300 and 400 blocks and the Arbaugh renovation - it became more lively and safe. So, only an area of about two-to-three blocks north-to-south (though much longer east-to-west) feel kind of sketchy. The in-progress revitalization of Cherry Park also pushed the 'bad' area westward, so it's slowly been eaten away at.

I'm reading about the downtown renovation, and I'm not a big fan. First, the open floorplans may make it easier for the staff to see around the library, but it also means anyone making noise up front can be better heard throughout the entire floor. I've always appreciated the kind of slightly secluded areas on the second floor. Hearing people typing can be very distracting. The other big thing is that they are going to mix new non-fiction with the fiction and children's section on the first floor. I'd always liked that the children and adults were largely segregated on different floors. There was an adult area where you didn't have to be bothered with children, and I'm sure parents don't want their children to be sharing space with adults, anyway. Also, they are going to be lowering the height of the shelves.

Anyway, they will also be putting all media on the second floor in the space they are moving the non-fiction from. The only good thing I see is that they'll be putting check-outs on both floors to make things a bit more convenient. Even then, you can do self-scan on the second floor already.

Second floor looking south:

636160266770721705-CADL-Render-1.jpg

Second floor looking southwest from where the computer lab used to be, I think:

636160268496716769-CADL-Render-5.jpg

First floor looking south:

636160244294409627-CADL-2016-08-19-Entry-View.jpg

[img][/img]
  • It's been a few years since I've been at the downtown library, but I remember it looking pretty dated at the time. I'm sure it needs a renovation that is more extensive than the one it's about to receive though I'm still glad to see it get a refresh. Michmatters brings up some good points regarding open floor plans and placing the children's section near the adult section, hopefully they have a plan to deal with the noise, perhaps with a white noise system. Anyone know what the third and fourth floors are used for?
  • I had read later what happened on S. Washington. I have a cabin up north and last year they busted a group doing the same thing at Jose Lake, so I know it happens everywhere. I understand that pretty much everywhere in Lansing is doing much better than ten years ago. Many in my family who do not live here, still have the impression that Lansing is very dangerous, this always amazes me, I may be naive, but I have never felt that way since my return. There is big difference in living a city vs small town, there in the small town,very often you would know the people being busted,the person committing the crime and the victim. Quite often one could know way too much, it is even more uncomfortable than knowing something happened to someone somewhere near by in the city.

I had not seen the Library plans. I agree that the children should be in their own separate space. It's OK to have an adult quiet area, I like that on the second floor now even if there are children present they are quiet, because they are in the adult area. Like in a restaurant kids are OK as long as their parents don't expect the library or restaurant to become the baby sitter. And yea what is on the upper floors? I am very happy they are remodeling the place, it really is almost exactly like it was the the 60's. Maybe the garden club could take over tending the library gardens, as they will no longer be caring for the "sunken garden". I really love the building it has many unique design features. I also like the architect's Kenneth Black's own home on Cambridge Drive by Frances Park, it has many of the same design features.
  • edited December 2016
    The administrative offices are on the top floor. Might be some storage space, too, but I was only up there briefly once. Basement is where they used to (maybe still do?) have their local history references and some storage areas. In all honesty, they need more space if you ask me.
  • They also have the used book sales in the basement.