General Lansing Development

Comments

• I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, and I must have missed it, but the plans for Claras are to reopen as an entertainment venue in 2017. http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2016/11/07/claras-memorabilia-sold-given-away-week/93418062/ has more details, including mentioning that memorabilia from the restaurant will be for sale this week.
  • I think they should note that they are Tiffany "style" lamps. I would love to buy a Tiffany lamp for $150 dollars! Does entertainment venue mean a night club, or banquet type rental rooms?
  • edited November 2016
    The article says that very little details have been given, so we won't know until more details are given. Hopefully, I hope it's something that could be used by the whole community. But, Pat usually has very specific ideas about things, so I kind of doubt it's something that will be rented out to the community. It'll probably end up another bar/club. Hopefully, he surprises me.
  • More information about Replay Tavern and the old Chrome Cat building. From a reddit thread, it looks like Replay Tavern (a console-based barcade) will be where Grand River Tackle & Bait was, on the corner of Larch and Grand River. The old Chrome Cat building will also be a barcade but using arcade machines.

Reddit thread, https://www.reddit.com/r/lansing/comments/5a9g8o/chrome_cat_happenings/
  • edited November 2016
    Well, the Central Substation has its first casualty:
    The developer who planned to build an extended stay hotel on the former Deluxe Inn site in downtown Lansing has withdrawn the offer, blaming the proposed Lansing Board of Water & Light substation and other concerns.

"The Electric Sub Station to be built across the street is not conducive to having a 4 story (40' tall) zero lot line hotel building adjacent to 50' high electric towers and lines, " the developer said in an Oct. 13 email to Eric Schertzing, chairman of the Ingham County Land Bank.

He says he has...
    “another broker and developer” who “was very excited about the possibilities for the property.”

Public officials seem to think the developer wasn't ever going to go through with the plan, anyway, and is just using the substation as an excuse to withdraw. The officials are also saying they wanted a more urban design than what the developer was planning, and that the developer was spooked by the property taxes on the site. I'd kind of imagined that this was going to have to be an urban design if the land bank was going to give them the land, so it's funny that this is only coming out now and that the officials are so pro-urban design all of a sudden. lol

Maybe that's true, but I can't imagine it didn't play any role, and it certainly gives any developer and excuse to bypass the site. Speaking of substations, I've been in Ann Arbor recently, and on their riverfront just north of the Broadway Street bridge is a hideous substation right on the street. It doesn't have any walls, but walls or not, the central substation given it's location on a high riverbank like that is going to be more than noticeable.
  • Well, this is disappointing but not surprising. It really brings me back to my hope that maybe they'd consider building the wall around the substation to look like a building facade, at least where it faces the streets.
  • edited November 2016
    I had not heard anything about this hotel being build in REOtown for months. Were they ever really going to build it? Even if it is an excuse it is a valid one. While traveling around Michigan I have been noting substations. All of them are universally ugly if necessary structures. there is one off Lake Lansing Rd with a wall that helps but not much. I will always be against building at Scott Park, but it seems like sanity is not going to win in this case either. I never want to see it built on the high bank on top of a hill, but if they do I like the idea of totally enclosing inside it in a building, maybe that building could have street level store fronts. I really can not understand why it could not be built where the parking area is, in the middle between the sunken garden and the Cooley Gardens. It is a large space and would not loom over the street. It is also a slightly lower area that would not be so prominent in the view of anything built on the east side of S. Washington. It does seem a bit strange that they are willing to build hotels next to land fills and cement factories in Eastwood but are pulling out of this place because of something that has yet to be built.
  • Was back on West Saginaw, last evening, and noticed that Lansing Township, in fact, ended up doing the entire stretch of the street through their township with the LEDs, which made it even more noticeable, and they may have even added additional street lamps. This area with the plants now not being there and the golf course were always pretty dark and unsafe for anyone walking the area at night, and now the entire road is illuminated. Looks like a whole different area. It's more noticeable since because Lansing Township isn't exactly known for keeping up its infrastructure.
  • I have not seen the new lights yet. When they put in LED lights on the streets of the town I lived in New England it was kind of awful. The white light is very stark, very little color is reflected, in other words it made everything look like shades of grey, black and blue. The old lights had an amber lens the which reflected off warm colors, yellows,reds, orange. So instead of a warm glow on the pretty street, we had a bright parking lot like light. They put a kind of a shield around them so as not to reflect up into the night sky, which was a good thing, but they light was so deep inside the casing they only shown down directly under the light, making it seem very dark between the light poles. While I am not sure the light ascetics of West Saginaw were ever in consideration,however the color of the light, the lamp post, and lamps can make a street look like a modern warm and welcoming boulevard, like here on S. Washington Ave in REOtown, or like a secure prison parking lot.
  • I hate the bluish LED lights, they're ugly and cause health and safety concerns for humans and wildlife. It's possible with current technology to have LED's give off a warmer glow, I'm assuming those bulbs are more expensive or haven't been scaled up to what's needed for streetlamp use.

Some cities are taking another look at LED lighting after AMA warning

Lighting cities with cheap, glaring LEDs is a dim move