General Lansing Development

Comments

• I was worried that the School for the Blind project was dead, it's really great to see that it's still a go. I'm going to re-post that link over in the School for the Blind thread for posterity's sake.
  • Both stories are great news. I do not why people's ego's seem to be slowing these developments. It is sad to see these folks make the story about them.
  • Not a huge development, but the old warehouse on Hosmer just south of Kalamazoo on the near eastside is being refurbished as a self-storage facility.
    636168804369596427-warehouse.JPG

LANSING - A warehouse once used by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission will be redeveloped as a self-storage facility.

Canadian developer Macritchie Storage LLC will spend $2.9 million to rehab the two-story, 79,000 square-foot building at 506 Hosmer St. into a climate-controlled storage facility with 678 units, according to a news release from the city.

Work will begin next spring and be completed by the end of the year. While I'm sure any of us would have liked to see something more creative, being acquainted with some folks who live across the street, I can tell you they are happy to not have an abandoned warehouse in their neighborhood for too much longer.
  • I'm really happy to see this building getting renovated but I'm disappointed to see it become a self storage facility. I'm also skeptical of giving tax incentives to such a facility. If they do grant the tax credits they should at least require the developer to make sure the exterior is attractive and well maintained, as an improved exterior appearance is about the only potential benefit to the community from this project.

I was always under the assumption that there was something wrong with this building preventing it's reuse as it seems like a great candidate for lofts or even offices. I would think that if the building is capable of being converted into self storage that the important parts are in overall good shape, I wonder why they decided against residential or office space?
  • I agree, it does seem like a self-storage business is not the kind of thing that is line for tax deals. It is good that they will be using a vacant building, but other than a few employees that kind of business does not help the surrounding community at all. They built a self-storage business in that cool all glass auto showroom on MLK, I do not think they got a tax deal to do so. Does anyone in that neighborhood think wow it's great to have another self-storage place on MLK? It seems that businesses love government when it doles out money and services, but hates when government asks for something in return.
  • Incidentally, we got a letter from LEAP about the Under-the-Bridge project, which is now moving forward. Struck me, though, that apparently part of the issue was that it will be in Lansing Township, and apparently the Township was unwilling to maintain it - so the city of Lansing has agreed to despite it not being within their borders. Perhaps they could request that part of the township just be absorbed into the city then... :)
  • I've always been kind of surprised given how aggressive Bernero is that he's never even broached the topic of annexation for that part of the township that abuts Frandor. It seems more of a no-brainer than any annexation possibility in the region, really.
  • It is a very good idea. The township seem to not like having this neighborhood as they simply ignore it. I think the city maintains the grass median to the east and west already. I could be wrong about that, but if so I guess they could take care of a bit more no problem. I would like if someone [state city township] would also repave the street there and the Kalamazoo Street underpass at 127. You can hardly call it pavement anymore.
  • Do the residents of that section just need to vote to annex into Lansing or East Lansing? How do they propose a ballot proposal like that? Do they approach the township, city of Lansing, or state?