General Lansing Development

Comments

• Work has begun on the "Under the Bridge" project I noticed the other day. They were starting to paint the murals on the side walls. I was beginning to wonder if this would be one of those things that was talked about that never happened, it is very nice to see this project get going. Also in the same area they have rebuilt the entrance to Frandor next to the Skyvue building. That was one big pot hole for a long time.

• One other note, they painted the new affordable house on Elm Street bright blue, with a red front door. Looks OK. I hope they cover the open space under the house, that would help even more.

• I went to the new bar in Old Town "The Grid", I really like the room,the windows are beautiful, they made a very cool space for the bar and the games. I only played the pin ball machines, and was thinking the whole time that I should be putting these quarters into a slot machine not a pin ball machine.They have all the classic video games too. It was fun, the beer was good, and people were really enjoying themselves.

• LCC demolishing old water tower, I'm gue
    ssing because of new clock tower.

• Thanks for the picture. I know it's already partially dismantled but this picture shows how brutalist that watch tower was. I'm glad to see it go. I only wish the new clock tower was 50 feet taller.
  • That LCC tower (whatever the heck it is/was) used to be on the welcome to Lansing signs that featured the skyline.

• I thought it was just a smoke stack for the welding classes, I went to L.C.C. when they built that building, no one knew what is was then either. I'm glad to see it removed, and I would also like to see that rope patterned cast cement removed from the Capitol Ave Ramp as well. That ramp was ugly from day one. I think it stands as a testament to the failure of design of the 70's urban renewal projects. It was cheap, that's why they put it up.

• @gbdinlansing I believe you are correct about the usage of the former tower. "The clock tower will be the product of refurbishing and renovating the vent tower from the former Mechanical Arts building. It is commonly referred to as “The Tower” by LCC students and faculty." http://web.lcc.edu/lookout/2016/09/09/clock-tower-coming-to-lcc/

• @sabatoa I think you might be confusing this tower with the smoke stack that has the giant lugnut on the top of it, which is much more iconic and shows up in almost every skyline picture of Lansing. I just did a Google image search and couldn't find a skyline picture that included the LCC tower.

• @Jared the Lansing city limit sign I'm referring to pre-dates the Lugnut stack above the Nuthouse. I'm trying to find an old photo too, but coming up dry. The LSJ did a little interest piece on the LCC tower as a result of the sign a long time ago- It's place on the sign skyline made it seem as though Lansing had it's own version of a space needle tower.

I'll keep looking, it's an interesting bit of trivia.