General Lansing Development

Comments

• Found some sub-county 2016 Census estimates the bureau has embargoed to the general public until later this morning. Anyway, there has been quite a revision for the city of Lansing, which now they estimate had stagnated around the 2010 Census number up until 2013 when it took off. In fact, the single biggest year of growth that have is the latest period (2015 to 2016) where the population went from 114,909 to 116,020, a net of 1,111 in a single year. There 2015 number is a slight revision down from the 115,056. Either way, that is some strong growth in a single year for a city that had been bleeding population.

For whatever reason, they've been estimating East Lansing to have stagnated posting only a net of 281 since the 2010 Census. Not sure how much I believe that.

Aurelius Township continues to be one of the fastest growing communities in the state, it's population up 22% since the Census. Every time I see this I don't understand. I haven't been aware of any major housing development going on down that way, but there must be.

• I could see that all being true. Have there been many housing developments built in East Lansing since 2010? Though there's room for development, the supply seems constrained right now. It's a seller's market. Contrast that with Lansing, where you can still find quite a few underutilized or vacant homes/properties in historic neighborhoods for cheap.

• I sure hope I never see the day Lansing becomes an expensive place to live. I like the fact that you can buy a really nice house for less than 100k. Out east it has become so expensive that is how much a parking space might cost. The thing about your tiny house being worth more than a half million dollars is that it seems wrong. A teacher or a policeman can not afford to buy a house in many areas. If you do sell it is more expensive to buy the same size house. So I hope Lansing stays a little scruffy[industrial, not perfect] around the edges so anyone can afford to live here.

• I received an invitation from the Capital Region Community Foundation for an event they are having at the former Beer Grotto to share "exciting news about their plans for Downtown Lansing and Michigan Avenue". They are the folks who had the banners up"a penny for your thoughts". They asked for ideas from the community on how to improve Michigan Ave. I did submit my ideas, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

• Folsom, CA here. Our house is just short of 1700sqft; 3bd 2bth; built in 1985. If we wanted to right now we could probably sell for $450K. Of course then we couldn't afford to buy anything else.

It's nuts.

• My sister lives in San Francisco and her house is worth nearly 2 million! It's just a normal house but it's on the top of a hill so that adds about a half million. My question has been who can afford these prices? What do they do for a living? It seems like the money in these places is devalued. If you were to buy a house in the Greater Lansing area that cost a million dollars you would have quite a house! That is one reason I love Lansing.

• Has anyone else noticed that the "numbers" have been taken down from the clock on boji tower? I noticed it on friday when i was driving by on 496. Wonder what they plan on doing.

• edited May 2017

I noticed it this afternoon. They are likely replacing them. Hopefully, they don't change the design or anthing. You have to watch the Boji's, though. They are not naturally inclined to historic preservation. Maybe someone should write them and/or the local media to find out what's going on.

• I noticed that as well, I have also noted that the clock has been wrong or not working many days this past year. Maybe they are fixing the whole thing, I hope so!

• Saw them testing the colored lights for the Under the Bridge art project, tonight. Interesting.