General Lansing Development

Comments

• Starting in December, Apple Vacations is expanding its seasonal destinations out of Capital Region International. Now, you'll be able to take direct flights to Montego Bay, Jamaica out of the airport on Mondays.

• Woot.

Incidentally I was reading a post on an airline forum about just how much more Lansing charges the airlines, per passenger, than most airports - about $25 per passenger was the claim, though I can't verify that myself. The real shocker, they said, was that about $5 of that was earmarked for marketing, whereas at most airports marketing gets about 25 cents per passenger boarding.

• That is interesting. Per this list: https://develop.metrolansing.com/discussions/discussion/2/general-lansing-development/p290 , only four of the "top 180" airports in America have a higher cost per passenger than Lansing - JFK, Newark, Northern Maine Regional, and Erie International. Now how much does it matter, I dunno. You're going to pay a lot more than $24 for your ticket.

• Um, how about this list: https://t.co/tDtvy5eoxt .

• edited June 2017

Looks like the ticks on the clock on the Boji Tower were simply being replaced. Glad to see it's just a preservation and not some kind of drastic change.

• I was a tourist in my own town yesterday! I went to the Olds museum which was very nice I thought. I enjoyed seeing cars and trucks that my family and friends helped to build. I also liked the old photos of the plants around Lansing. They really refreshed my memory of what was where and how the buildings looked.
    I also went to the Native American Pow Wow, which was very interesting. The drum circle and singing were the best part. While there I sat down in the shade by the nautilus "wall". I went up to take a look at the center of the spiral to find it chocked with weeds, dead leafs, and empty bottles. I can not believe that the city does not have enough money to at least clean up the major park in our downtown. When I see this sort of thing I just wonder how did they just let things go? It makes me angry. I think the same thing when I walk by the fish ladder. We can't afford a power wash? Why not get a get a company to volunteer to clean up the whole park and let them advertise in the park. That is the big "promise" isn't it? That private enterprise is going to fill in where government use to take care of things?

• edited June 2017

Totally with ya - I don't really believe the city lacks enough money for something that basic though, they either don't care, of the people who are supposed to pay attention to such stuff are not paying attention. I have tossed the idea before that it would be a good project for an LCC student club - maybe I'll do so again.

• @david_shane, you make a good point about the parks maintenance and while it's such a simple idea I had never really thought about it myself and just kind of gave up on maintained parks. Growing up we always lived by a park and going to them now it's just disappointing. Even Frances park, other than the gardens, seems to have declined. It's always amazed me how many of our neighborhoods are situated around parks and how the city could just forget these gems.

Anyways, the idea of student groups assisting I like. Not just LCC either, why not davenport or even the few students left at Cooley? I got my degrees in the Detroit area and despite not even being in the city we constantly had student groups doing community outreach, planting trees, park maintenance, etc. It's interesting to me now why that isn't as prevalent here in Lansing. It's amazing how quickly one small group can spruce up a park and the impact it can have.

Final side-note on that, has anyone noticed its much more than just the parks? It seems growing up the roads, obviously, were in better shape but even down to weeds in cracks, edging along the curbs, overgrown vegetation, litter, etc. There are so many areas it seems like vegetation is taking over and giving a forgotten look. I'm not sure if it's the city not enforcing ordinances or just cut backs. Again, it's a small thing that makes a big impact I feel like. This could all just be in my head but I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this.

• I don't know if the city takes care of this area but the Cedar Street & 496 area is one place that seems be be getting less care each year. It looks like they did at one time as there are flowers and plantings that would look nice if they cleaned them up. Also at Moores Park the boarded up picnic pavilion is disgraceful. OK, it needs repair and upkeep are they planning to do it? Moores River Drive by Frances Park is crumbling at several places right in front of the park and the river access/walk. All winter I wrote about that area but at least as of last week there are still water filled pot holes. The water gardens along N. Washington Sq. need to be cleaned out, there are half dead trees and plants. There are 12 tree ports "holes" along W. Ionia that have no trees. All of these things and more would seem to be with in the city capacity to take care of but they are not. I noticed they have sponsors for the hanging flower baskets downtown, maybe they could get some tree and road sponsors.

• edited June 2017

Lymon,

Some of this is the priority of whoever the mayor is, but most of this is that the cities aren't getting the revenue sharing from the state goverment they used to meaning that money cities used to spend on amenities is being stretched thinner and thinner. For instance, since 2003, Lansing has missed out on a whopping $56 million dollars - and that was as of 2014; lord only knows how many more million that be this year - it would have otherwised received if the state government was sharing revenue like it promised. It's why elections matter, folks. Different politicians and different parties have different priorities. And, it's not just Lansing, while it's largely just an open area, East Lansing barely mows Burcham Park on the east side of town.

The parks are actually better maintained than when we were going through the recessions when the city was literally letting some of the parks or some areas of the parks "go back to nature" because they didn't have the money to pay for them. But, it's also that Bernero hasn't been big on parks.

You all should write the mayoral candidates this year to make sure the people concerned with parks are heard. It looks like barring some surprise Andy Schor will be the next mayor, so see if you can get some questions and concerns to him.

http://www.andyschor.com/contact

I'd just a campaign contact for Judi Brown Clarke, the other major candidate, but I can't find a website for her.

And, more generally, you can contact the Parks & Rec Department with your concerns:

brett.kaschinske@lansingmi.gov

They are usually fairly prompt in getting back to you.