General Lansing Development

Comments

• Yeah, I really don't see it happening.

• Another high-end establishment will fill the spot Knight Cap recently left.

Bowdie's Chophouse, a steakhouse that started in Saugatuck, will open a second location in Lansing in the East Michigan Avenue building that once housed the Knight Cap. They plan to open on Nov. 1.

"For the last year or so, we’ve been talking about opening another place, where to go, the right places, the wrong places," general manager Tyler Bowdish said. "We actually have a lot of regulars who live in Lansing that come to Saugatuck during the summer.

"They told us about the Knight Cap, how it had been there more than 45 years and that there’s no place in downtown Lansing for people to go and get a steak and that the city is kind of looking for something like that."

They are planning to redo the entire interior. This really sounds like it's going to be an exciting place and hopefully something that becomes a Lansing establishment.

• That sounds really interesting! Looking forward to trying it when it opens.

• I have a good tree story for once! They have planted new trees in the empty spaces downtown along Kalamazoo Street by the Library and Cooley. That is the first time I have had good news regarding our trees. Yea!

• They have also planted new trees on Ionia street. It is really great to see these trees planted now I hope they will water and take care of them.

• Random question... has there ever been any talk of converting that disused rail line between Turner and Center in Old Town into a bicycle trail, ultimately hooking it up with the River Tail? Though it wouldn't add that much to the trail system in a practical sense, I feel like it'd up the "cool factor" of the River Trail by allowing you to cut through all those neat old buildings. I'd imagine paving it up to North Street.

• I don't know but that's a great idea
  • Magnate,

Friedland has been mulling for a few years, now, returning to shipping scrap by rail. So, if anything, the current plans are to eventually reopen that corridor for rail.

• Some one help me with this, beyond the (really weak) benefit of easier fundraising - and still confused by this one, because of the cushy rent deal ($1-a-year) - why is this happening now? I don't think it's a bad idea, but I'm instantly skeptical of whose benefitting when I see Virg announce out of nowhere that a piece of city property is planned for sell and the deal is basically already worked out.

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero wants to sell the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum for $2.

To the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum.

Bernero's administration has agreed to sell the city-owned property at 240 Museum Dr. to the museum, though the sale still requires approval from the City Council.

They say it also makes it easier to do repairs on the building, but the article says that their agreement with the city was amended in 2005 to require them to take any responsibility for repairs/expansion, anyway. I see what the city gets out of this; but the benefits to the museum seem...minimal?

I hate that I have to be side-eyeing something that seems like the city should have done years ago. lol

• I think the benefits are mutual. The city doesn't have to insure the building anymore and doesn't have to act as a landlord. The museum can control its property and not have to worry about losing their lease.