General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited October 2017

Yep. 120 North Washington is indeed One Michigan Avenue. They use their Michigan Avenue frontage for their address. Thanks.

I wasn't aware a company like this wouldn't have a centralized workforce office. It's good to see them all under one roof, then. It also gets me thinking about how consistently low Lansing's Class A office space vacancies are, and how we're long, long, long overdue for an office tower...

• Was looking through the public service departments Facebook feed for the first time in a few months. It appears the forestry division within the department planted a total of 23 replacement trees around downtown this month:

Michigan

Kalamazoo

Townsend

• That's great! Do we know why there were 23 open spots?
  • I'm not sure they were open. I imagine the trees might have died or were struggling and they replaced them.

• I feel like the City has really slacked off on planting trees over the years, maybe they're getting back into it again. Going down Cedar in particular there are tons of empty planters, I think that's the case on a lot of other streets also (though to their credit trees probably can't survive in a lot of those planters on Cedar St due to being surrounded by pavement). It's certainly good to see them planting though, I hope to see them filling in the gaps elsewhere.

• Someone in the post I got the pictures from mentioned South Cedar, and whoever mans that Facebook account reminded them that those are state planeters since the street is a state highway (business loop). We'd kind of talked about this in the past, but you never quite realize how many of the major corridors belong to the state in this city. Not that the city has been great, but they've been decent with their streetscapes (Grand, Grand River, Washington, Michigan, Capitol, etc...). The state has only ever seen it fit to do really well with the Capitol Loop as it concerns state highways in the city, and then only then because it was part of the city's sewer seperation and such. They've done a decent job of keeping things clean (MLK where it's a boulevard), but it seems like they don't even know Cedar exists. I'm hoping the form-base code will bring more attention to their streetscapes since the code is base so heavily on the types of street on which certain developments are allowed.

It reminds me a lot of what happened in downtown Detroit. The lower part of Woodward didn't get really beautiful until the city asked the state for that part of it (south of Adams) back, and then the city absolutely went to town on making it a legit beautiful avenue.

• The state owns the street thing seems like they[the city] are making a poor excuse, I drive through small towns where the state highway is also the main street. Does the state plant and maintain those trees and flowers? I think the state would allow the city to plant trees on Cedar if they wanted to do so. I have noticed that they cleared the weeds and vines out of the planted areas or the Cedar-496 interchange. It would be so cool if they lined Cedar Street with Cedar trees.

• Saw on Channel 6 this evening that Spartan Motors down in Charlotte has landed the biggest contract in its history and will be supplying the U.S. Postal Service with more than 2,000 cargo-body fleet vehicles starting next year.

Spartan makes all kinds of heavy-duty vehicles. Most notably as of late they made the MRAP for a time and continue to service them for the military. They also make chassises for other military vehicles.

This new contract is going to pump a lot of money into the local economy, particularly in Eaton County.

• I'm glad to see Charlotte getting an economic infusion like that. It's such classic American town and has been getting more vibrant lately. I enjoy the contrast towns like that provide to Lansing's more city-like environment.

• edited October 2017

The potential sell of the 121-acre Waverly Golf Course and Michigan Avenue Park in Lansing Township has his the local news. The LSJ is reporting what we saw in the council agenda the other week: that a Grand Rapids developer wants to purchase the site from the city for $2.2 million. The current resolution of sell specifies that all the money will be funneled back into the parks department; a $2.2 million infusion of cash could be a pretty big deal for Lansing parks.

Anyway, still no news on the developers plans for it, but after the sell it's Lansing Township's problem. The township blocked a previous attempt to sell the site in 2014 on the claim that they wanted to wait to update their zoning code. The current Township Supervisor, however, seems very excited on developing the land. At 121-acres, it's probably the biggest ready-made parcel in the entire urban area for development, though I'd hope they'd save at least part of it for a large park. This could be the township's "central park" if they'd like.

BTW, took this pic from the top of the hill looking north/northwest years ago:

Michigan Avenue Park Hill