General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited November 2017

That whole intersection is unforunate, but it sounds like the community center has been lobbying the city for years to try and jump-start the area and it may finally be happening. The agenda had a little piece in it about the neighborhood trying to create a "town square" in the little shopping centers parking lot, which would consist of local art and such to try and spur redevelopment, too.

This is an area where the form-based code would will really help if it's implemented. I think this area of the city is a perfect example of how bad design can exacerbate other kinds of decline or at least reinforce it. It's always kind of reminds me of Washington and Miller, with is another area with a mini-mall too far set back from the road with weird and random pieces of empty/open land area it. It makes these places feel like tired old small towns in the middle of the city. Then the housing is all too far back on too large lots, so you can't create any walkable density. Just a really unfortunate way we allowed development after the war that's going to take some time ane effort to correct, really.

• A little update on something we talked about, oh, over two years ago, now. Back in April of 2015 a plot of land at South Cedar and Syringa Drive (this is just north of Jolly and immediately south of the McDonald's) was rezoned to allow an eventual retail usage. This piece of land has always been rather noticeable because it's been empty for as long as I can remember, but always really emaculately maintained. It's also notable for its giant pine/fur trees on part of the backside of the lot which continue into the backyards of the homes along East Syrigna which shade the area

Well, I just noticed this evening that the trees on the interior of the lot have been cut down. They were fairly large, themselves, but I think they were mostly oaks or something. So anyway I go to look at the city website to see if the land has finally be sold and lo and behold it's recorded as having been sold on the 7th of this month for $75,000 cash. We'd discussed back in 2015 how we thought it'd likely be another fast-food place, but this will definitely be a prominent, little site to keep an eye on now.

• Beacon South is going to be great for the neighborhood and coincides nicely with what they're doing with the new public space. I've been trying to find their donation site because I want to contribute- but I still don't see it. Glad to hear that efforts are going well though.

• I noticed that someone has finally started demolishing (or maybe reconstructing) the old vacant building on the southwest corner of Allegan and MLK. I've been a broken record forever on how the neighborhood on either side of the boulevard needs walkable retail, and that little scroungy corner store on the other corner just isn't going to cut it.

Anyway, the little building being demolished has been vacant for as long as I can remember. Hopefully, something is planned for the site, but even if it's not, it's just a huge psychological boost to see that building come down.

With a few dilapidated homes having now been demolished along this stretch, there is opportunity for more suitable uses on the boulevard.

• I'm glad to see that building go. It looks like a big enough lot to actually be useful to someone so I'd hope that something gets built there sooner rather than later.

Thinking about that stretch of MLKreminds me of the 7 block area, I still wonder when we'll see anything happen there. Doesn't the property still technically revert to the city at some point?

• Nope. The city's play with the 7 Block Area is that they own a corner parcel at Butler and Kalamazoo. The Eydes own the rest, and have actually bought up a lot of land to the north all the way up to Allegan. But on that main block that's been the target for the major development the city's way of making sure that the Eydes don't just develop any old thing is through their ownership of the corner. They could technically just develop around that piece of land, but it's big enough that it makes that option unfeasible. I think the idea is that should the Eydes come forward with an acceptable development, the city would essentially give them the corner, too.

The Eydes have always just wanted to develop and office building here. I imagine they've always wanted to develop something for the state given the other uses in the area. The city has been very adamant they develop something mixed use here. The last serious proposal for this site the Eydes threw the city a bone and proposed an suburban-looking office building with some lofts on the top floor.

Really, I'd like to see them develop the parcels with multiple buildings. Doesn't have to be anything super tall, but something that would be segmented and visually interesting.

• Do you know if the city vacated that last block of Washtenaw? I'd really like to see that street reopened and the area developed as two separate blocks. I'd agree that I wouldn't expect anything very tall here but I wouldn't be completely shocked at something as tall as 10 floors being proposed though I wouldn't prefer it. More realistically I would hope for a collection of 2-6 floor buildings across the two blocks, so I guess I agree on the multiple buildings thing also. I'm just worried we'll end up with something like that three floor suburban style office building spread across two blocks.

• edited November 2017

I'm actually less woried about the quality of development than I was when the Eydes last proposed something for the site. The was really hurting for development then, so I was surprised they even fought back. Now, there is no way they could get away with proposing something like they did back in the early 00's.

My worry is that development has totally shifted from Washington Square to the Stadium District and even further east. It was hard enough to get attention for the westside when development was more core-focused. 7 Block is literally not even on the council's radar, anymore. I honestly can't remember the last time I heard anyone even bring up this part of town.

Anyway, looking at the zoning maps, it does look like the city vacated Washtenaw in between MLK and Butler. It's been closed off for years; I'd always heard the police requested they do this when the neighborhood was really bad and they were trying to make it harder for drug dealers to navigate the area. Not sure when they formally vacanted it, but, yeah, the street is attached to the nearly 2-acre lot north of the street.

The Eydes now own basically everything from Kalamazoo to Allegan save for the homes fronting Butler on the northern block. There is also one hold out Allegan. I remember talking about this a few years back. They bought the homes, which appear must have been rentals, because only the middle house remains occupied.

• I may be wrong! but weren't those blocks originally cleared for the Capitol Complex [is it still called that?]. It is kind of sad that these developers just sit on these properties. Back when The Hall of Justice was built, did anyone say anything about the building totally turning it's back to the west side neighborhood? I have not looked that closely but there does not even seem to be an entrance on the west side of the building. The open surface lots right in the middle of the promenade leading to the Capitol are super bad. A much smaller area could be used for parking structures that could have offices or retail on the lower street facing floors. The Historical Museum looks like a fortress. There must be hundreds of people working in those buildings, I would bet that very few of them ever crossed MLK on foot. If the buildings were better integrated into the neighborhood the area could have shops restaurants and housing for all those people working right there.

• Perhaps they could have been an entrance on the back, but the Hall of Justice was rightfully designed so that it was part of the capitol complex completing a visual access from it to the Capitol. It's a really beautiful view, especially at night from either end, but particularly from the Hall of Justice looking toward the Capitol.

As for the Seven Block Area, the city council actually has the development strategy in the zoning code. It was passed in 1989, and appears to have been a means of slum clearance, but of course not by that name, and also rehabilitation. So kind of a mix of a "third way" strategy that you'd have expected from the 80's. I guess they recognized the urban planning disasters they'd made during the 50's and 60's with the clearing of the land for the Capitol Complex, and so developed a strategy more of infill and a plan that included that any displaced persons would have to be housed in good housing in the city.

It wasn't specifically cleared for the Capitol Complex, but it does appear they originally wanted general office space to be built along Butler with commercial space built along MLK. I know somewhere along the way this changed slightly with the city recognizing the 80's strategy was still flawed, and began to demand that anything to be built on the block bound by Kalamazoo, Butler, MLK and Washtenaw should be even more mixed use (i.e. include housing).

Parts of the original 80's plan were actually completed. The relocation of Union Missionary Baptist Church was part of this strategy moving it from the east side of MLK to the expanded median. Other parts were not, including finding a non-profit organization to take over the old Union Missionary Baptist Church building. It seems a big part of the impetus behind this was to create the Capitol Loop without making the mistakes they'd made in the 60's when they rammed 496 through the heart of the black community in Lansing.

As usual with these kind of things, it looks like Seven Block has been a mixed bag. Quite a bit of the housing in the area did eventually sucumb to neglect; on the other hand, quite a bit of the housing was renovated. I remember my school working with the local housing coalition to help renovate some of the homes at the end of Lenawee back in the early 00's. Still, the infill never really happened in this area.

I really do hope the city starts working on the fringes and transition areas at the edge of downtown along Kalamazoo and MLK, but it looks like someone's got to remind them of their obligations in Seven Block. The development plan specifically speaks to monitoring of the plan that doesn't seem to have gone on. Like I said, I can remember the last time anyone on council has brought up the plan. It had to have been the last time the Eydes proposed something for the area and that was the early-to-mid 00's, so at least a decade ago.