General Lansing Development

Comments

• I am hoping they develop this area in a more urban, less suburban style. I am thinking of the area behind Eastern H.S. that was the last large in city space to be developed. While the houses look nice it really looks out of place in the middle of the city. I could see urban style row houses set around large green spaces.
    Now that it is Oct. 31st I have been wondering about the Frandor, Ranney Park drain project, and the Red Cedar Renaissance project. Last spring they were talking about October as the time they would be braking ground. Has anyone heard about any progress or delays in these two important projects?

• It's Lansing Township, so I expect the worst.

• Yeah honestly I'm expecting more strip malls and possibly a suburban apartment complex or a big box retailer. Pretty sad to lose all that green space to what will probably become a parking lot (East Lansing just did this for Costco :disappointed:)

• edited October 2017

The township supervisor mentions mixed-use for the site in additional to mentioning housing and commercial. Whatever is going there is going to be a mix of uses, I'm sure.

Diontrae Hayes took over as township supervisor early last year, and she's much more progressive than previous township supervisors (and younger). So Lansing has a totally different relationship with them now. The problems with the township previously were mostly the result of backwards thinking supervisors.

There is no longer any need to be reflexively pessimistic about the township's leadership I'm happy to report.

EDIT: And right after I say that, this happens. lol

LANSING -- Saying they fear Lansing Township will try to block the new $2.2 million purchase offer for Waverly Golf Course and an adjacent park, city officials have gone to court.

A statement from Mayor Virg Bernero's office said that City Attorney Jim Smiertka asked Ingham County Circuit Court to issue an order requiring the township to disclose records regarding a zoning moratorium it set in 2015.

The city filed Freedom of Information Act requests for the information in August, and is arguing that the township failed to follow state law because it requested that the city pay excessive fees to get the documents and failed to clearly provide internet links to portions of the material the township clerk says is located on its web site.

Sounds like it may be more between the towship clerk and the city, though, as Hayes seems adamant that nothing is blocking this sale:

Lansing Township Supervisor Dion’trae Hayes said she doesn't understand why the city took legal action now. The moratorium ended in December 2015.

The Bernero administration has had nearly two years without the moratorium in place, to get a deal done for the course, Hayes said.

"I had no idea this was the route the city would take, and I'm saddened by this," Hayes said. Hayes said early Tuesday evening she had not yet read Lansing's legal filing or reviewed Township Clerk Susan Aten's response to the city.

Yeah, this is sounding like it's a beef between Aten and Virg, not Hayes and Virg as Hayes just learned of the company's interest in the land yesterday:

The first time Hayes became aware of the company's interest in the property was Monday when a State Journal reporter contacted her via email, she said.

• I like that Mich seems optimistic about this one too, and maybe once Virg is out of the picture things will go a lot more smoothly with our neighbors. He displays some of the same traits as this guy in D.C. who is in the news a lot insulting people.

• I saw a brief report on the local new about Jackson Insurance planning to spend a million dollars on river front improvements from the Cherry Hill boat ramp to the fish ladder! I did not see anything reported today as of yet. Has anyone heard of this project, sounds exciting!

• edited November 2017

No city council meeting next week, but the Committee on Development and Planning will be taking action on a few things and setting public hearings for few things, which will send them back to the full council.

1. The committee will approve or reject a special land use permit for the land south of 322 Pere Marquette to allow a 4-5 story residential development in an industrially-zoned district.

2. Setting the public hearing for the Neogen warehouse redevelopment of 100 South Hosmer.

3. Setting the public hearing for a special land use permit for 735 East Hazel. This is the project to turn the old warehouse immediately south of the Neogen warehouse redevelopment into a max of 160 residential units.

4. Setting two public hearings for the sale of the REO Olds Museum and Waverly Hills Golf Course/Michigan Avenue Park.

5. Approving or rejecting the rezoning of 930 West Holmes from commercial to warehouse. This is the project that will turn the old EDS building into a self-storage facility while retaining the edges/frontage of the property (the parking lot) for future commercial use to cover up the internal part of the site.

6. The typical year-end request by the Ingham County Land Bank asking for the city to transfer their tax foreclosed properties (the one which have been through two auctions unsold) to the land bank. This is a formal procedure the city has to do to transfer the properties.

Lots going on and moving forward. Not usually this busy at the end of the year, honestly.

• edited November 2017

Here is a rendering included in the Planning & Department meeting packet ofr 735 East Hazel. Apparently, it's called "The Wing."

The Wing

It looks like they will use a lot of the roof. I imagine they'll construct some of the apartments on top of the existing factory, then. It just blows my mind that this location is getting this. Shows that development has spread well out of downtown, now. 10 years ago no one would have been looking down on Hazel Street.

• Wow! I go by this building on my back way to Michigan Ave all the time. I have to say it is an unexpected place to develop into housing. There are tiny pieces of the old neighborhood around this building but it is kind of isolated location. But hey if they build and it is nice people will find it. Are they planning to build another building at 1000 S Hosmer? The building that is there next to 496 has been under reconstruction for quite a while now, so I guess they are talking about a new warehouse?

It is good to hear they are going to do something with the building on Holmes, it is such an eyesore. I hope they pull up some of the black top, or at least repave the huge parking lots. The market for the self storage businesses must be good, there seems to be so many of them around town.

• I have yet to hear about the Jackson National plans for downtown river front improvements. I just saw this "tune in at 11" short story saying they were having a meeting. I did not tune in at 11 so I missed it.