General Lansing Development

Comments

• It'd almost kind of have to be them given what we heard last week.
  • Yeah, I just didn't figure they'd be the ones involved in a relatively small scale mixed use project as they've stood on the sidelines despite seemingly having the land and resources to do things over the years. I guess the dismal office market may be getting to them. But hey, if this means we have another developer in the new construction game locally then I guess I can't complain.

BTW, regarding you're idea about the Masonic Temple city hall, it could certainly make for a cool city hall building with the right addition/facade treatment on its south face, I'm pretty sure it's not big enough to meet all the city's needs anyway in which case they'd be locked in to buying the lot next door for the addition, and hopefully a plaza at the corner. I still don't think it can be done right for $40 million and I'm still worried it'll be in the LSJ building or even the worse, the Victor Building that I heard rumors about awhile ago. Sounds like we'll hear more soon.
  • Oh, no; not the Victor Building! That'd be so bad. lol But it'd totally make sense given how the Gentilozzi's just basically appeared out of nowhere with New Vision Lansing, LLC. The city has been trying to get by on less space. With the courts, police headquarters and probably city clerk's office spun off, wherever they go won't need as much space as the current city hall. I'm a fan of consolidation and keeping everything central, but the city is moving in the exact opposite direction.

BTW, looking at the purchase agreement for the south Grand lot, the Boji's have 60-120 days to terminate various leases for parking in the lot, and are given 36 months to (I think) complete development of the site.

BTW x 2: Another small but cool development I saw in next week's council agenda was that the city is accepting from the state public service commission that will install solar panels at the city's wastewater treatment plant as well as two additional pumps. Not the kind of sexy development that catches most people's attention, but really helps the city. Speaking of solar panels, I can not understand why the city has mentioned to GM doing their lots outside Lansing Grand River Assembly like the solar carports at MSU. It'd better protect the product left out on the lots, particularly in the winter, and probably be enough to power the entire plant off grid. lol
  • I missed the part in the Boji's purchase agreement that the sale is actually tied to something being built there, I skimmed for something about that and apparently missed it.

I'm just not sure GM cares or that the city has any sort of privileged communication with them. I'd love to see GM part with or develop their lot near Cooley Gardens along with the old Oldsmobile HQ, I'd like them to sell off land in between or at least west of MLK, put their fence on MLK behind the landscaping they did... I could list more. GM has not been a good corporate citizen recently besides simply existing here and supplying jobs.
  • Yesterday I noticed a large new mural being painted on the western wall of one of the new apartment buildings in REOtown on S Washington. I did not get a real good look at it while driving but it looked really nice with robins and the Capitol Building depicted. The mural will take attention away from the mediocre architecture of that development!
  • It looks like a poster. They've been up for a few weeks, I think. They definitely needed something to feel the walls facing the street.
  • edited August 2023
    I'm still not sure why the Bojis are buying the lot instead of CATA, but it's hit the news:

Developer to buy city owned parking lot
    Lolo Robison, a spokeswoman for CATA, says the organization supports the sale of the property to the Boji Group.

“We continue to pursue funding to develop it in conjunction with Boji Group,” Robison says by email.

The proposed project was still in the early discussion and planning stages in May, City Pulse reported. A new building would not only host administrative offices, but human services programming to assist the homeless and potentially a daycare. There are also discussions of adding low-income housing units to the proposed building.
  • I really don't know how to feel about these projects across from the CATA station, there's so much up in the air. With questions about homeless services, the prospect of an LHC managed building, unknown size of the CATA offices/number of apartments there and probably most important: the potentially bad site layout, I'm very much in wait and see mode before I cheer this one on. It could end up being fairly nice, or not so much.
  • edited August 2023
    Edit: Ah, I see how the NEZ ordinance amendment and the OPRA revocation are related after seeing D&P committee minutes from last week. I don't understand all of the details, but apparently, Hepler is seeking the revocation of the OPRA certificate for the space in the Motor Wheels plants he's trying to redevelop, because it has requirements more stringent than an NEZ designation, which is apparently why they are amending the ordinance (which is currently out of compliance with state law).

Citykid, perhaps you know more about the details. I thought the NEZ was a benefit for future residents, whereas an OPRA actually helps the developer, primarily, to get a redevelopment off the ground, so I'm a little confused.
  • Didn't see much in next week's Planning Commission, but the minutes for the previous one show that the commission unanimously approved the Planning Office's recommendations for reform of the subdivisions ordinances to cut some of the red tape. Good job, citykid. I guess this goes to council for final approval, now?