General Lansing Development

Comments

• I found it really interesting that it's being announced in the Renaissance Center like it involves GM but there isn't any official partnership. Good timing with the North American Auto Show. But yeah, this could be particularly exciting for Michigan, and it's happening here in Lansing. On a side note, those seem like pretty reasonable prices too, maybe not right this second with this recession, but in a year or two, I think there are many who could afford a $8k-$15k pricetag for something like this.
  • Visitors Bureau moving to Stadium District

I think this will be a good location for them, much more foot traffic and more visible. I didn't know they closed the one in Old Town to walk ins though.
  • Another good piece of news: the Michigan Credit Union League is moving it's office from Northville to downtown Lansing in the building that Troppos is in. They are taking up the entire 9th floor (9,000 sq/ft). Great to hear businesses moving from the outskirts into downtowns instead of moving out of downtown anywhere, but especially Lansing.

http://capitalgainsmedia.com/devnews/credit0303.aspx
  • Yeah, it's a small gain but every little bit helps, especially when the small companies grow.
  • edited January 2009
    The City Pulse has an article about how Joel Ferguson, landlord of the Vistor's Bureau's old location, lost to Pat Gillespie. In a letter sent to the City Pulse, Ferguson laid out reasons for them to stay in Old Town.
    The first is cost, and his estimates peg the total increased cost to the bureau over five years — the term of the lease with the Gillespie Group — at just over $786,000. That figure includes an estimated moving cost of $50,000 and a "build-out" cost of approximately $346,000. The build-out costs are incurred by the bureau because the space they'll occupy isn't finished; rather, it will be finished to suit its needs prior to the move-in date.

The issue isn't just the cost incurred by the bureau. After all, if a company moves to newer, more expensive digs, thats its choice. Hladki says that's a price the bureau is willing to pay to be close to two big draws — the Lansing Center and Lugnuts Stadium — with a streetlevel storefront and a visitors center. The Old Town offices are on the second story and do not include a visitors center. The bureau had operated a visitors center on the first floor, but it was shut down several years ago. The bureau sublets the space.

The problem is the anticipated ripple effect on Old Town, where the bureau is viewed as an anchor.

Ferguson, whose own office is also in the Grand Center, began investing in Old Town in the 1990s at the invitation of then-Mayor Dave Hollister. He notes, in the letter, that the initial commitment of the visitors bureau to place its offices in Old Town spurred other developments and revitalizations in which Ferguson Development has been involved, including partnering with the city to obtain a state grant allowing for improvements to the River Walk.
  • edited January 2009
    It's really much ado about nothing. That said, I do happen to agree with the comment made that Stadium District was marketed as something that was supposed to be pulling business from outside the region, or at least outside the city. At the end of the day, though, them not being downtown never made any good sense, and this will not be a huge loss to Old Town, just a temporary setback. Speaking of Old Town, the new Red Cedar Meetinghouse is coming along quite nicely up the street from the Grand Center.
  • I got an invitation from the Public Service Dept. and the PSD for "input for the upcoming streetscape project onS. Washington Sq." I'm sure they wouldn't be upset if some you came. It's this Thursday, Jan. 29, 8am at the Radisson Hotel, Michigan Rooms II and III. If I can go into work late, I'll definitely go, so if some of you who always have great and usefull comments can't go and want to pass them to me I'll definitely pass the ideas along at the meeting. FYI, the back of the postcard invite says:

"The design phase of a streetscape and corridor beautification project is ongoing in the 200 and 300 blocks of South Washington. The project will improve the pedestrian environment with new paving, curb bumpouts, and rain gardens, which will further benefit the City's storm water system. Design of the project is a crucial step to a successful project. We ask for your cooperation during this important design period, which will ultimately improve the quality of the Washington Square business corridor. We invite you to attend a Commerical Property Design Meeting. This meeting is being held for commercial property owners and tenants in or near the project area. If you are a stakeholder of property in this area, you are highly encouraged to attend this meeting. This is your opportunity to provide your ideas prior to the design of the project. If you have questions, please call Mindy at the Lansing PSD at 487.3322."
  • I also have to work.

I'm not sure what they mean, I thought they were going to continue the same streetscape improvements they put on the redone parts of Washington. I am happy with the improvements they have already done, and I'd like to see those continue down to 496. The only point I'd stress is that they use traffic lights mounted on poles rather than on wires. Also I wish they could incorporate at least a couple sculptures, statues or fountains along Washington. I hope that they block off access to Cooley's lot from Washington also, I'm guessing thats part of why they demoed a part of Town Center.
  • Hasn't the access always been blocked off from Washington? I'm pretty sure both the entrance and exit has always been along Kalamazoo. I also suspect the meeting is to work with the business owners and get them up to date on schedules more than anything else. The business owners on the square always use to complain about there never been enough notice and communication between the city and themselves, so maybe this is to simply reach out a hand.
  • There is a carded access gate to the parking lot on Washington Sq. immediately north of the library.