MSU Development

Comments

• This I found interesting:
    At least a portion of the project will likely include ground floor office and retail space, said Kat Cooper, a spokesperson for Auxiliary Enterprises.

Sounds to me like we're not talking a suburban apartment complex like the redos of apartments around campus, rather something more urban.
  • My initial thought on this was that I hoped they wouldn't do suburban style housing. I didn't even see those comments about ground floor retail/office space, which is very good to hear. I continue to be impressed by MSU's design decisions around campus, at this point I suppose I shouldn't be doubting them.
  • I would expect MSU to continue with the urban design. The need and importance of available land has increased since the Hannah years for various reasons, like university development (capital campaigns) and the neighborhoods initiative.
  • There has been more attention given to upgrading Munn.

link: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/hockey/2014/10/01/msu-announces-munn-arena-upgrades/16531387/

I definitely agree with upgrading Munn instead of building another arena.
  • I really like the proposed new entrance, any idea what side of Munn it will go on?

Munn1.jpg
  • I had been planning to upload that photo too :)

I think that will be on the Munn Field side.
  • edited October 2014
    I don't really like that the entrance will go on one of the less visible sides of the building but I guess there must be some logic to it.

I checked the MSU construction projects page for the first time in awhile and found that several projects have been added, I listed the ones I think are most noteworthy:

project-eli-broad-college-business-additionjpg.jpg
    College of Business - Graduate Pavillion
    This four floor addition to the College of Business will replace a wing of the Eppley Building near Bogue and Shaw.

project-horticulture-gardens-construct-welcome-center.jpg
    Horticulture Gardens Welcome Center
    They're finally proposing a proper entrance to the Horticulture Gardens, which I regret not having visited since I was a kid.

New Intercollegiate Golf Facility
    This sounds like it could be a fairly large project as it will add a new main building for the Forest Akers golf course.

Spartan Village Redevelopment
    They don't really include any details as to what the redevelopment may entail but this page will be worth watching for updates.

There's also plans for a new data center, a renovation for Breslin of unknown scope and expanding the Simon Power Plants capacity.
  • I don't really like that the entrance will go on one of the less visible sides of the building but I guess there must be some logic to it.
    I guess I'm not too sure. Looking at an aerial view of the building, it seems that all sides are pretty similar. The Munn Field side does get a lot of exposure during tailgating, but maybe they'll put this on the Breslin-facing side?

79c3fb25e89206cf4193d6b366745fddee8d5b8f.jpg-590x1000.png
  • I found this rendering of the proposed Breslin Center Pavilion, there's not much info on it.

Breslin%20pavilion.jpg
  • Is this off Harrison or Kalamazoo? It appears that we see a street right out front, so it's not the Shaw side, and it's definitely not the Brich Road side where the arena offices and such are.