New Users: Introduce Yourself

Comments

• edited July 2007
    I also wandered over here from urban planet.

I graduated from MSU a few years back, and have been interested in Lansing ever since.
    In fact, after years in California, and now the South, I am ready to move back to Michigan. If Lansing would get a light rail system, I would even consider retiring there.
  • Glad to see another fresh face.

If you're hoping for light rail, I really wouldn't count on it. The fall-through of the Detroit-Ann Arbor system sort of sends a "we don't want to spend the money" type signal to me, not only for a system in that area, but across the State. I could imagine a system in the Lansing area that would span from Capital City Airport to Okemos, but LMich made a good point when he said Capital City doesn't get the traffic to support a start/end point for the system. Maybe someday though.

Anyways, I do hope you're encouraged by all the new developments in the area, and welcome to the board!
  • edited July 2007
    DDOT is moving forward with a Woodward light rail line (possibly a Michigan Avenue line), and the Brighton(ish)-Ann Arbor commuter line is stil moving heavily forward. I'm not sure where the pessimism comes from. Considering how backwards we've been, you'd expect nothing less than for it to take some times to get things going. In fact, those involved with commuter and light-rail proposals in the state are surprised at how fast everything is moving forward, and how few setbacks there have been.
  • I think the first line should go from the Meridian Mall area to the Lansing Mall area. Once people were used to it, perhaps a Holt to airport line could run with connections downtown.

I don't want to be a blue haired grandpa driver, but I want transit options when I give up my car.

I am amazed how many former Midwesterners would like to return home.

With the state capital, MSU, and excellent transit connections; as well as its many other amenities, Lansing could be a Midwestern miracle.

I'd like to be a part of making that happen ...
  • edited August 2007
    Does it have to be light rail? What about true bus rapid transit, with off-bus fare collection, signal priority, and at-level boarding? Don't get me wrong, I would love light rail, but the infrastructure costs are often so high that it renders itself politically infeasible. I also think that the existing road network might lend itself to that kind of solution better than a light rail line... but perhaps I am wrong.
  • Oh, and in terms of being blue-haired and giving up your car -- why do you have to give up the car when your hair turns? Why not now? That said, I think an even better idea would be to move back to a dense part of the region (areas of EL or Lansing), give up the car, ride CATA and buy a bike, and work as a planner or otherwise emploed advocate of dense mixed-use development.

At least, that's my plan. Sorry to hijack the new users thread with my silly ideas.
  • Hola a todos. I'm new to this site and am from Jackson :(, but hope to attend MSU in a year. So I am interested in the development of El and Lansing.

I like the idea of a light rail in Lansing, but realistically I doubt one will ever exist (maybe in a decade or more). I don't think Lansing would be able to produce enough riders to support it. At this point most people would rather drive. Also as someone pointed out earlier the start up cost for this would be very steep. Although rapid bus is an idea its kind of boring compared to light rail. More young people would rather take a light rail to work (or where ever) as opposed to a bus. Hopefully the Detroit/A2 commuter rail will actually start this year, if so this could pave the way for other light rail ways around the state.
  • Long time lurker... Finally decided to join in
  • Hmm...well I had lurked on the site somewhat early on. Like from 2006. I tend to do that before I sign up at sites sometimes for whatever reason. Anyways I've lived in Lansing all my life. Recently got a degree from LCC. I just tend to be interested in development and politics and architecture and local stuff among other things, so it was nice to find the site. And I figure it makes more sense to add to discussions rather than just sit back and watch more.
  • I've been lurking on this site far too long! Let me introduce myself...

I'm a civil engineering major at MSU. When I started MSU, I was from Chicago... but then my family moved out of the country, and now I have established residency here (in the dorms) -- so I have a Michigan license and everything now. I think I'm going to stay here after I graduate, and work on transportation here in Lansing, perhaps with MDOT. I don't know for sure yet...