Capitol Club Tower (Proposed high rise condos!!!)

Comments

• Other words, this project could have been in a different city. But I'm please the developer choosed Lansing.
  • edited January 2009
    If they started demolition in Feb./March, and construction started early summer, at what point would they be locked into the final height of the building? Can they increase it after groundbreaking, or is it finalized at that point?

It'd all depend on when they began to purchase the material for the frame of the building, which could be before or after they break ground. As I said, they say that there is still an option to take this thing to 18 floors if demand warrants, so no one really knows.

I can't say I'm really disappointed. It'd have been different if the thing had started out much taller and kept getting reduced in height, but they said from the very beginning that the thing could be anywhere from 12 to 20 stories, so at the very worst the design is simply back to square one.

You know, I'm beginning to wonder if the delay didn't simply come from them wanting to bring in some extra cash to reserve for the project from the nearby city garage they recently purchased? Given the economy, I'm sure they see the wisdom in having more cash on hand considering how difficult financing construction has become.
  • edited February 2009
    Lansing Area Capital Gains is reporting that they hope to have a ground breaking in six months. Not a construction start, but a ground breaking, and the rep says that they want to deliver the thing by next year. That would be virtually impossible. I think I now feel comfortable enough and ready to call total BS on this project.
    “We’re hopeful to break ground in the next sixth months, but it could be longer,” says Emily Lott, the lead saleswoman on the project. “Our goal is to deliver the building by mid-2010.”

This proposal is how many years old, now? Coming up on two in May. Who in the world waiting to sell there current house is going to have waited that long, and who's going to wait any longer when the folks that this project as hoping to attract are leaving the area, entirely? She says that they "hope" to break ground in the next sixth months, but then says that it could be longer, which would effectively put off any real construction until early 2010, anyway, and she then goes on to say that they hope to deliver the building by "mid-2010"? Say wha?!

If they were serious, the least they would have done by now would have been to level the buildings on site. They haven't even done that.
  • The people who will wait that long are all the people in the Lansing area waiting for the first real condo tower to be built, whether it ends up being this one or not. At this point I really don't care if this project happens, because as I said before it will likely just make a larger, more impressive project possible. BTW I still think this will happen in some form, at least as long as our poor economic situation doesn't drag out for too long.
  • I remember there being $1 million in the stimulus wish list for Lansing for the Capitol Club project. If I remember correctly, it wasn't directly for the project, but was for fixing up the riverfront area in front of the proposed site. If that $1 million gets allocated, how much would that help the project move forward? Anyway, the indicators don't seem great, but knowing how much Bernero likes this project maybe he can push it forward. Also, in regards to Hood's comment, I think the uniqueness of the project (only condo tower) is the only thing that is keeping this even a possibility. Otherwise I think it would already be cancelled. I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers for the time being!
  • edited April 2009
    The LSJ is reporting that the neighboring South Grand Avenue Parking Structure the developers bought, last year, it scheduled to start it's long-proposed remodeling, next month. I like the idea of the ivy and the bike parking spaces. It'd be great if there was reserved bike parking in our municipal garages. There is also mention that the actual former Capitol Club and Goodrich Building on the site to be used for the tower could come down, next month, as well. I'll belive it when I see it.

bilde?Site=A3&Date=20090415&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=904150328&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

The owners of a downtown parking ramp want to make it a little greener.

Work is expected to begin in early May on about $350,000 in facade work to the South Grand Avenue parking ramp, which will replace some of its concrete shell and add living vines.

The ramp's owners also plan to add secured bicycle parking and locker room facilities to the structure - a nod to "green" commuters who might not otherwise have a place to park their wheels.

The ramp will include about 30 spaces for bikes, Elliott said. Those spaces could rent for less than $20 a month. Parking a car in the ramp costs between $99 and $130 a month.

Meanwhile, work on the parking ramp will continue and the old City Club building could come down in the next month, Elliott said.
  • Anything to help this ramp would be nice, it's uglier than most.
  • edited April 2009
    Next week's city council agenda includes the issuance of a construction permit to begin excavation of 1 cubic yard at the site. I wonder exactly would would require just 1 cubic yard to be excavated? It's good to see, at least, that the process is moving forward if even the project is on hold.
  • Good news, the lane is closed off on Grand Ave in front of the parking garage, construction equipment is on site including a small mobile crane. Half of the front facade of the parking garage is already removed!
  • Wow, I was expecting that to happen in the fall.