Sparrow Projects

Comments

• Final beam raised for Sparrow expansion

Tom Lambert
    Lansing State Journal

Sparrow Hospital celebrated a new chapter in its 111-year history with the final beam being raised for its $135 million West Wing addition during a ceremony today.

The 500,000-square-foot 10-story expansion - the hospital's first in two decades - will feature a new emergency room, hospital officials said today.

The first patient service area to be completed is Sparrow's new emergency room in January 2008. The new ER will more than triple the size of the current facility and feature a dedicated, pediatric ER specially designed and staffed to care for children and adolescents.
    Advertisement

The state-of-the-art addition will feature expanded, patient and family focused facilities for many Sparrow services, including emergency, cardiac care, critical care and surgery, hospital officials said.

"Our new West Wing will serve our patients better in the very near future, and serve future generations in the distant future," said Sparrow Senior Vice President Ira Ginsburg.

"The placement of the final beam marks a major milestone in the construction process and signals that we are one step closer to our vision of world-class healthcare."

The top four floors will be left vacant and used for future expansion, hospital officials said.

Contact Tom Lambert at 377-1063 or tlambert@lsj.com.
  • Well I don't have a picture, but I noticed from 496 that the Sparrow name is now on the new addition. :-)
  • edited July 2007
    Check out this new photo of the expansion from Bingham Elementary across the street in the LSJ photograllery:

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=A3&Dato=20070629&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=629001&Ref=PH&Item=10&MaxW=620&MaxH=500
    Rod Sanford | Lansing State Journal

Here is the adjoining article about the soon-to-open expansion, and gives some interesting history on the hospital:

Prescription for growth
  • There were quite a few articles about Sparrow in the paper. It was interesting to see some of the old photographs of Sparrow through the years.
  • Yep, even an article about the significant Ingham Regional Medical Center expansion to open in a week or two. IRMC is also becoming unrecognizable.
  • edited December 2007
    Update. The tower looks great, and particularly when light hits the black windows.

2138524585_5b2418a5b2_o.jpg

2139295430_4367d83b69_o.jpg

2139295432_c33644e55e_o.jpg

2141223527_68f9ee6c20_o.jpg

2138532783_60ed911b37_o.jpg
  • Now the question comes, what/when will Sparrow build next? I can't wait...
  • It will definitely be a few years off for sure. They overbuilt, purposefully, with this tower, which will be filled in phases over the coming years.
  • I beleive their next project will be an administrative/classroom building, at least thats what I've been told. That project's timeline would be unnaffected by the West Wing since that is supposed to be all for hospital use.
  • Whatever they construct next will have to be of similar height if they want to construct it at their midtown site because there is so little room left to work with. They have the parking lot west of the professional building and the small Sparrow Foundation Building. They also possibly have land if they building above the Cancer Center and parking garage on the eastside of the hospital.