Marketplace

Comments

• Heres the a link, a 26 mb zip file: Download link

It contains both the Google Sketch Up and Earth files for each building. Some buildings are duplicated, for instance the Ottawa Station, Capitol View and N Grand Ramp, each have a pre/post rehab version. You must open each Google Earth (.kmz) file in Google Earth and save it to your "My Places."
  • I think that the City Market could actually thrive because of this. and other projects in the area. Imagine how many people will be living within walking distance if all these projects are completed. Get some additional vendors in, and people would be able to get their food without having to go to grocery stores that are miles away in most cases. Some more specialty vendors such as the cheese people (who I LOVE) would be perfect!
  • hood-

Looking at the sketchups, I was amazed at the accuracy and level of detail on many of your models. Awesome work.

Sadly, only the South Grand Condo and Oldmobile Park loaded correctly. When I clicked on the other .kmz files, Google Earth took me to the correct place on the map but no model appeared. I have the latest sketchup and Google Earth versions, maybe that is my problem.
  • Ahh, yes it's because of a mistake I made on the first couple models, and had to keep on repeating. Turn the "Terrain" feature off on Google Earth and you should see the models.
  • haha, that did it.

Turning that off had an unexpected and humorous side effect on another model I downloaded. All of the sudden I had the Ottowa Street Station Floating in the air like a magical palace. I'm deleting that version and keeping yours, which I like better.

Thanks so much!
  • edited October 2007
    Jared, I created project pages for both projects, just FYI to get them posted. Also, you may want to create a "completed projects" link at the top and/or bottom of the list, and move completed projects there, right now thats only the University Center, maybe Sparrow although its still technically under construction.
  • Two City Pulse Stories, one on the new Market, the other about the Dyslexia house:
    His New Market
    This Old House
  • A story in the City Pulse about how the new market WILL be year-round: Year-round market

It also says that hotel chains have been inquiring about the property, specifically Mariott. It says that the hotels want to see the riverfront get developed first and with them they would bring chain resturaunts and a Starbucks. Now I can't say I want to see a Starbucks around there, but I would like to seesomechain resturaunts and I would absolutly LOVE to see a hotel. At first I wondered if this development would be half as good as it was proposed, but it looks like we may just get more than what was expected from this development.
  • Saw that story, and it sounds graet. It's ridiculous that Lansing has only one downtown hotel, and that all the other major hotel chains are either at the very edges of the city or are in the suburbs entirely. I already sent a letter to the council asking them to be proactive and take this issue up as soon as they can, that is, the issue of the Radisson agreement made years ago which is not only bad legislation but bad business.

BTW, here is a pan I took early this fall kind of showing the area in question:

2138550483_4ae05a1363_b.jpg

I wish I could get it as big as it really is. This view should be quite different in a few years.
  • The deal to sell the Lansing City Market site to Pat Gillespie has gone through (pending Council approval). One step closer to getting things rolling over there!

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080522/NEWS01/805220386