Marketplace

Comments

• That's pretty good that he's acquired all that property. I don't think it would be bad if he left the Dyslexia Institute. It's extremely well kept and will provide some character if they are able to incorporate it into the design. The city garage will probably be an easy transfer since the City is pushing for the development.
  • I don't think the development would feel complete if the Dyslexia Institute stayed, and I don't think Gillespie will leave it there, given a choice. I definately don't want to see that house tore down, either. I really wish they would move it somewhere nearby.
  • As small as the property is, it doesn't seem like it'd be hard to work around it, at all. There really is no reason to tear it down.
  • I know in a couple of circles he's mentioned retaining it as an italian restaurant or some other specialty use. I like the idea of "greening" the area by getting rid of the asphalt surrounding the building and covering it with grass, then using parking in the middle of the ball park north area.

Of course, that whole side of the development is moot if council doesn't first pass the Market Place development.
  • Thanks for the inside info/rumoring. I can't imagine the council not passing the Market Place development when it comes before them. They haven't ever turned down much when it comes to development.
  • And this would be one of the dumbest projects to reject, it will turn a relatively large, blighted area into an important extension of downtown.
  • hood, how did you see he had acquired so much of the property?
  • edited July 2008
    Probably like me, and that is, looking at the property look-up site and the real estate signs that dot nearly every property between Michigan and Saginaw. Look at my post in "The Stadium Project".

Look what I've found:

http://www.mylansingcitymarket.com/

new2_LansingCityMarket_ViewFromRiver.jpg

new2_LansingCityMarket_MuseumDriveView.jpg

new2_LansingCityMarket_AerialView.jpg
  • That site plan is actually out of date, the stuff down by the river is gone and has been replaced by a bi-pass lane so people can get around the market-lane of the rivertrail if they don't want to be slowed down by market patrons while they're shopping. (the current site plan still shows the dumpster/recycling in the same place but sources tell me that too will be going elsewhere)

the building has also grown to a nice, rectangular 13,200 sq ft, the current market is 16,000 awkward H shaped square feet

the "vendor parking" has actually been turned into patron parking, there will be some sort of gate to prevent automotive traffic from continuing down and around on the river trail (the arrows have been removed from the latest site plan to make this a little more clear)
  • Thank you, very much, for those updates. I was just going to write Gillespie asking about the market property obstructing the River Trail, because while the website said that it wouldn't, the site plan shows that it obviously did.