The Stadium District

Comments

• edited July 2007
    No, you're not. I just think it's ridiculous to even imply that constructors need to construct something a certian way at a certain time to seemingly impress someone. That's really too much to ask or even hint at. They are moving along at the same pace as they've been moving all along, and you really can't (and shouldn't) ask anymore than that. If anything, people are actually happy to see the construction of a multi-story building in downtown, and even better at such a prominent spot. It's leaving a good impression on all that see it, especially out of towners, and gives the downtown redevelopment a sense of urgency and inevitability.
  • Well, students other than me, Sparty, and Jared. :)
  • edited July 2007
    Anyway...

They are working heavily on the back of the structure. I saw today that they have what appears to be the structural steel for what I assume will be covered parking along the back of the structure. The 'awning' as it appears to be was going up on the Cedar Street side in the back. It has an interesting design. I guess what I'm getting at is that even if they'd slowed down, they should not be rushing or slowly down to appease a few overly critical individuals. If it was up to some people they'd demand that they build the thing in a month. But, since that is not the case (that they've slowed down) that makes the issue all the more irrelevant, and it just seems so shallow to me to even be discussing something like this.
  • That awning is a drive-thru for the bank, not parking. I agree that they have slowed a little in their progress. And the Gillespie should be pushing construction along, time is money. It costs huge amounts of money in interest and taxes on a property that valueble, the longer its not earning money because of delays, the more it hurts.
  • edited July 2007
    Does anyone actually have any proof they are slowing down? Again, from what I've seen, they've simply moved to the back, at the moment. I'm totally baffled why anyone is chastizing them at the moment. It seems totally inappropriate and shallow.
  • Well, as I went to a couple Lugnuts games in the past month, I can attest to the HUGE sign that is on the Stadium District that says "Condos for Sale", and I am sure anybody who looks at the building can picture what is coming. The front did seem to stall, as there has been less "white paper" on the steel in the front (probably some form of insulation), but I am not worried about it.
  • Really guys, I'm not trying to chastize Gillespie for appearing to slow down the front of the building, and I'm sure the development is making progress in other areas.

All I'm saying, and it's not like I think it's the end of the future of downtown Lansing if it doesn't happen, is that some students, as well as other residents, may not be curious enough to take 2 seconds out of their busy schedules and look at the Stadium District sign to get an idea of what the development is. If the front facade was a little further along, it would give everyone a better idea of what the final structure would look like without having to dig around for a picture or rendering.

As far as I can tell from the info I get from here, and having looked closely at the development downtown, it looks like it's going well and will be a welcome addition to downtown's landscape.

Will it affect condo sales if they take a little more time to finish the exterior? Probably not. However, the sooner the exterior is finished/close to finished, the sooner those passing by the development will take more than one glance.
  • They have started to apply some of the brick on the first floor, I seen it in the dark though, so I really couldn't tell how it looked.
  • The brick looks pretty nice. Last time I saw it, it went halfway, and they have started on the western side of the front too.
  • If anyone has seen Stadium District by night it looks great. They have lights on inside by night making it glow.