The Lansing River Trail

Comments

• Just noticed that the city finally landscaped where the coaling towers used to be just south of the fish ladder in Burchard Park in Old Town along the River Trail. Didn't stop or anything to see exactly what's going on, here, but it looks like they might put some objects in it.
  • Ingham County has awarded some of the trail millage money, including $419k for Lansing's Rivertrail: Ingham County OKs millage money for trails projects

Also some good news for Riverfront Park: Lansing wins NEA grant to plan improvements to Adado Riverfront Park
  • That is really good news. There are so many places that need repair and maintenance, and even beautification.

I wonder about the river level and who controls that. It is very shallow below the damn right now, you can see the bottom and from the Moores Park bridge I saw fish [that were not carp] and huge shinny fresh water clam shells in the water. To me this is amazing. Anyway I wonder if they keep the river level higher above the damn for the tour boat? Some hot still days below the damn, the river gets slow and doesn't smell so great, maybe they could do a flush opening of the damn at night just to keep everything flowing along. I think the river itself ought to be beautiful to look at.
  • Although quite low (about 3 feet deep) is still moving 500 cubic feet of water per second. Still a river.
  • He's talking about directly downriver from the Moores Park Dam, which can have quite a difference in level from below the North Lansing Dam. I tend to remember there being a gaurge on different parts of the river in Lansing. Seems like they only have one downriver of the North Lansing Dam, now. And, of course, weather also plays a roll.
  • Adado has the possibility of being a gem, but it's not there right now. It's corner of downtown feels sleepy and forgotten. No vibrancy.
  • edited June 2016
    They built many of the features at Adado park in the 70's. It was part of the urban renewal projects of that time. You can see the textured cement they were so fond of in the spiral wall by Shiawassee that was suppose to be fountain. So after 40 years it is time. In those days no one used the park there was no greater river trail, no concerts, maybe only the 4th fire works. The fact we have all those events there now shows what the planners back in the day had in mind.Going there these days I have found that it is very dark down there at evening events, some more nice lighting would be great. Maybe a food truck and push cart zone along Grand Ave. would attract people during non event times. A cool picnic pavilion would get a lot of use, people really love to picnic here. Bike parking, and a long boardwalk with seating along the river are my ideas. Lighting the underpasses as I have pointed out before could offer a place to stop for shade on a hot day or a place to get out of the rain. Also river bank restoration with slopping banks and plantings that could be flooded at times of high water. I could also see summer time floating beer gardens, where local breweries might set up on barges or pontoons anchored to the bank. I could see a huge skating rink and holiday market in the winter.
  • It's been a long time coming for them to turn the park into something great.

BTW, the fountain at the Shiawassee Street Bridge was at one time very operational and was quite beautiful. It was lit at night, too. There was also a fountain in the middle of the Grand off the Lansing Center. I grew up in the area, and what happened with Riverfront Park is what happened with so many other things in the city. As tax revenues and employment in city government started on a steady course downward, maintenance was deferred and only the most basic things done (cutting grass, reseeding, etc...). The irony is that the park is used by events way more today than it was even when it was looking nice, but the money dried up for maintaining it. We're fortunately back to the city growing for the first time in decades and tax revenue decline having bottomed out, so the future is looking brighter.

Believe you me, to have grown up in this park, no one has been as big a critic as I have. I remember when they use to freshly paint the ampithere structure at the northern end of the park, and is now just rusted. The fountain we were talking about for years after it was turned off became a literal dumping ground and was filled with trash. They had to take down the huge, wooden stairs down to the river a few years back because they'd become dangerous, I assume.

BTW, just kind of continuing the rant, but one of the programming things I miss about the park was Riverfest. It was the city's main annual festival and was much more family-oriented than anything they have there now. It had a carnival, tons of food vendors - many of them lined up under the old Shiawassee Street Bridge - a community basketball tournament usually held on Grand Avenue, and a floating light parade on the river, and attracted more people than Common Ground (which replaced it). It'd be cool to see an annual carnival over there again, but it looks like they are taking everything downtown in another direction.
  • I had no idea that thing at the Shiawassee Street Bridge was even supposed to be a fountain. I was looking for a spot to hold class outside about a year ago, happened upon that spot, and found broken glass everywhere - needless to say we went somewhere else. Be nice to make that area shine again.