The Lansing River Trail

Comments

• I've tried to imagine what a 'perfect' Adado would look like and I've mostly drawn a blank. A permanent stage is sure to be the centerpiece of these upcoming plans, I'd also imagine there will be a more interesting and better designed trail/boardwalk along the riverfront. I'd kinda like to see a permanent restaurant worked in somewhere too, maybe a seafood place built right on the river or something. There's a lot of possibilities there, finding a coherent vision and direction will be the tough part.
  • The Riverfest sounds nice. The Common Ground Festival seems expensive and exclusive not inclusive. One night for rap one for country etc. is not going to encourage mixing of the tribes. Plus at my age I'm not paying money to stand in a field listening to a band. That's just me, I'm sure folks have a blast down there, but it is not meant for a lot of the people in Lansing.
    It is interesting to hear that the spiral fountain was working in the 80,s and maybe 90's? There were also several fountains in the N. Washington Sq. Mall, none of those worked for very long. The big textured cement disc fountain right at Michigan Ave was king of cool when it worked. I wonder what they did with that disc it must have weighed at least a ton. There was also a cute little fountain in the rose gardens at Francis Park. I would also like to see there river fountain working again. It was kind of like Geneva :}

I am not sure building a permanent stag is a great idea. I could see such a building being kind of abandoned most of the time, except when there is a show. The way to avoid this would be to build an attractive building, that would offer something to the park on non-events days. Maybe flower gardens and fountains in front of the stage, maybe a pop up cafe could take over the space on non-show days. In Boston the Hatch Shell is kind of interesting to look at but I don't know,it's just not so great to be there when it's not in use. The same goes for the amphitheater they built at the Cape Cod National Seashore, it gets very little use, it's not really nice looking and just sits there and bakes in the sun. In San Francisco's Golden Gate Park there is a very ornate amphitheater, with a arbor of trimmed trees in front of the stage with benches, this makes a nice place to sit in the shade. The trees and attractive building offer something to the park when the stage is not in use. They should really think about it before putting buildings in the largest green space downtown.
  • I remember going to Riverfest when I was a little kid, from what I remember it ended up shutting down largely because increasing fights/other problems, I think there ended up being shootings/stabbings. Same thing happened at Logan Square, it got shutdown and left town early almost every year. Not that having the right security and police presence couldn't deter most of that should they want to try a Riverfest-type event again.

I think a permanent stage is at the top of the City's wishlist, if done right it could be a really good thing. I hope to see it built where it can serve as a permanent venue and marketed as such. I think something 1/2 to 3/4 the size of DTE might be realistic, that would take up about the same amount of space as Common Ground's seating area. As you said, designing a nice building is key to making it a long lasting, oft-used venue that also benefits the park when not in use.
  • I actually hope a permanent stage doesn't get done here. Each time there is an event, most of the park is closed off to the general public unless they have paid money to get in, basically turning one of our nicest parks in to a private park.

I would like to see some permanent bathrooms, more grilling areas, picnic tables, and more public art.
  • It was always meant as festival/entertainment/events park. Putting a stage in wouldn't close off the park; and, really, what it would just do is to bring into line what it was originally supposed to be. They can always do the rest. The park actually has permanent bathrooms, but I'm not sure if they are ever opened, anymore. Like you said, even small things would make a big change.
  • I'm not the strongest proponent of a permanent stage but if done right I think it could be massively beneficial even if it does close off part of the park to the general public some/all of the time. I think the best possible scenario would be a permanent stage with a permanent amphitheater with a capacity of 5,000-10,000 a la DTE (but smaller, DTE seats 15,000). Using the anticipated proceeds from that venue you could invest a lot in the rest of the park, make it highly landscaped with water features, sculptures, gardens, etc... And it would actually get used, there's no reason a venue like that in this area wouldn't stay busy in the warm months.
  • They have re-fenced the the area near the failing banks on the Moores Park branch of the trail, also they have covered the holes in the wooden deck of the bridge with old metal traffic signs. This works OK until winter when the snow plow rips them up. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any of the projects that were talked about beginning. I have noticed new signage and that about it. They did "mow" the sides of the Moores Park trail, it seemed a little overboard as most of what they cut down was wild flowers that softened and cooled the view. They even cut all the plants that were growing in the stone bank cages. I could be wrong, but it seems like those plants were helping naturalize the stone banks and provide more stability. It seems like it's the same as the BWL and the trees. Doesn't anyone ever hire an aborist, or landscape expert before the just cut everything down.
  • I was at the FLRT meeting - they mentioned that probably next year, across the trail system generally, they are expecting to do 11-12 miles of trail asphalt work, replace 11ish bridges and do repair work on about that many more. Quite a bit of work in other words, thanks to the trail millage.
  • I was reading about the art they are planning to install on the trail and it was mentioned that they will be installing the works after the 2018 repaving is done. I have not seen anything yet that looks like prep for this repaving project, but they are talking about it like yes it is happening this year. Maybe that is why they are keeping the river so low? It sure will be good to see this happen.

• This time of year is a great time to walk the River Trail, the Scott Woods section has a lot of beautiful wildflowers starting to bloom, the other day I found wild ramps growing they are one of the first editable plants to collect in the spring. They taste like garlic and onion and are considered rare. There were some very large patches growing to the left of the trail if you are heading south towards Hawk Island, I should check before gathering in a city park, but I only took a dozen and I cut them above the roots so they will grow back next year. If you do gather some always identify with a guide and by smell, they really smell like garlic, other plants like Lily of the Valley look like ramps but have no garlic onion sent. There are a lot of people walking the trail these days only about half wearing masks and some with huge dogs they can not control around other dogs as I witnessed a huge dog fight with people screaming at their dogs, it kind of ruined the peaceful walk, so be aware if you walk out there.
    Another great place to see lots of wildflowers is Frances Park, there are many varieties growing right now in the little woodlands next to the street.