The Lansing River Trail

Comments

• I guess I was a little off there. That last picture looks like something I saw on the other side of Mt. Hope.
  • The city seems to be doing a good job of keeping the trails plowed. I can only speak for the southern section though...
  • Yeah I notice the city has been a little more dirty then usually. Maybe the river trial is more greeney and less trash laying around the river.
  • I remember the trail from the early 80's (it was much shorter then). I am looking forward to moving back to lansing partly because of the trail.
  • Just curious, but where are you moving back from? How long ago did you move away?
  • I am moving back from the detroit area. I moved away in 1985.
  • With the Delhi Trail being extended from Valhalla Park in Holt north to Jolly Rd (near Aurelius), does anyone know if it will be physically/directly connected with the south end of the River Trail? Or will one have to walk/ride along the sidewalk for a few hundred feet, crossing Aurelius and Jolly Roads in order to travel from one trail to the next?

I haven't heard of any plans for bridges over either Aurelius or Jolly Roads connecting the two trails (expensive).
  • I would hope that at the least they put in a pedestrian signal to make crossing the road safer.
  • I agree, a traffic signal is the most likely result. I hear a lot that the trails would be "connected" but I'm not sure exactly what that means or how.

I hope that the trails would be continuous. One of the strengths, I think, of the River Trail is that it is essentially non-stop with boardwalks under most roads along the river. (exception Mt Hope and Cavanaugh crossings, which are both fairly easy to navigate).
  • That's always been one of the unique things about the older sections of the Lansing River Trail, and that's the grade seperation. Unfortunately, I feel that since the path of the newer south branch goes through a lot of natural area and because it's cheaper, they didn't continue this unique feature of the River Trail.

Looking at Lansing's non-motorized plan on the city website, it appears that this is entirely a seperate pathway, so no bike lanes or sidewalks, which is a good thing, and it stays east of Aurelius up until Jolly. Before it gets to the intersection, it crosses Sycamore Creek two or three different. I imagine at the intersection, it may use the existing crosswalks.

This will be a fairly large multi-model crossing in the not too distance future, though, because along with this connection between the Holt path and the River Trail, the South Lansing Pathway will also use the intersection on its way toward Bear Lake to the northeast of the intersection. It'd be nice to see how this all works out.