General Lansing Development

Comments

• I don't know if the museums should have their own authority, be lumped in with LEPFA or stay independent, but something has to happen to improve them. I'd love to see a new Impression 5 /science & technology museum just about anywhere downtown but I think it'd be best on the river, Washington Sq or adjacent to the State Historical Center. In a perfect world I'd like to see the R E Olds Museum take over the old John Bean building on Cedar near Baker, it'd be perfect for a vastly expanded transportation museum although it'd require some significant backing by someone (GM??).

• I'll chime in and say that I wouldn't want to see a downtown Lansing art museum, only because I'd rather see the region do even bigger and better things with the Broad Art Museum, perhaps even building a companion museum of some sort. You've already got a great thing going with the Broad Art, so why not leverage that rather than starting from scratch in Lansing? Lansing can focus on the science museum.

On a similar note, it's always struck me as unfortunate that both Lansing and East Lansing have separate zen gardens. If you could've combined the money and effort put into both and kicked in a little more funds, the region could've had a legit tourist attraction rather than two quick little diversions.

Of course there are complex reasons involving specific benefactors that dictated the present situation with the zen gardens, but still... it's little things like that which can add up. Really the fact that both Lansing and East Lansing are separate cities has always been a bad thing for the region. Imagine if there was an Ann Arbor with the county seat and industrial base and an East Ann Arbor with only U of M. It's hard to imagine how that could've worked out better than what we have now.

• I sort of agree with you on your point about a downtown art museum, of the public works projects I mention it would be my lowest priority one. I still would eventually like to see a downtown art museum of some sort though, perhaps managed by the Broad so the two museums could be complimentary. I was also thinking that any downtown performing arts center should probably be managed by or in coordination with Wharton.

I'm not familiar with the zen gardens you're talking about, what are/where are they?

• The Zen garden in downtown Lansing is on LCC's campus, immediately north of Dart Auditorium. It's an amazing respite from the urban noise. Lets keep it our little secret, eh? :)

• I could see an historical art and design museum somewhere downtown, I have heard that Lansing does have a collection of art that has been donated in storage some where. I could be wrong about that. I could see historical art as part of a Lansing History Museum. I also thought I had heard that the MSU Broad Museum was going to build a facility across Grand River, maybe that was just a hope. I think contemporary, and modern art would be the areas that the East Lansing museums could cover, and history downtown.
    I'm also not sure which gardens Lansing magnet is talking about. There is a Japanese {Zen} garden on campus at MSU, the Lewis Landscape Arboretum is off of Service Road. I'm not sure why but some of the gardens in that area seem unattended but the Japanese Garden is still very nice, with two brass lions at the entrance. There is also a Japanese Garden on L.C.C. campus The Sigematzu Japanese Garden hidden off Capitol Ave. It is very nice as well. If there are others I would love to hear about them.

• edited May 2017

You guys got it. I was talking about the zen garden at LCC and the one on MSU's campus. I've actually been to a lot of zen gardens in this country, and if you could magically combine the two in Greater Lansing and throw in a little more money, you could have a zen garden that'd rank nationally. Obviously that's not high on the priority list of many politicans, and the zen gardens we have now are nice little places to relax as is. It was just a passing thought I've had.

• I haven't been to the zen garden on MSU's campus but I have been to the one at LCC and it is a very nice sanctuary in downtown, I would imagine that a larger one could be truly impressive. I would love to see more things around like these zen gardens, they do wonders for place making. I actually want to incorporate something like a zen garden in my concept/pie-in-the-sky plan for the Washington & Mt Hope factory complex.

• LSJ reports that they are going to redevelop the back of the old Michigan Theater. That will be really great if they do. They would bring a facade to the Grand Ave. side of the building to the street.
    Just an little note about the Michigan Theater,every year they would have a free movie day for the Lansing Schools Safety Patrols. When I went they played some really obscure movies that did not hold the attention of the kids, so a huge pop corn fight started! It was the late 60's that's what we did back then. When my sister went to the free movie day in the 50's she was among several dozen kids to contract polio at the event. She would recover as it was also the time they can up with a vaccine. I use to wonder why a business would want to be inside with no street store front. I did not know that five years later they would build the malls which lead to the end of the Michigan Theater with all the stores inside.
    Don't tell the BWL where the Zen Gardens are, they will want to build a substation there.

• haha... agreed, let's keep the Zen Garden on the DL.

I noticed the other day that crews have been starting exterior work on the 3rd apartment renovations in the Cherry Hill neighborhood. It looks like they're matching the exterior to the apartment building across the street which will create a more of a cohesive feel to that block.

Does anyone have any update on the Clara's renovation?

• From the LSJ on the expansion of the Atrium Building (Michigan Theatre):

Paul Gentilozzi said Tuesday he plans to add residential units, more office space and two levels of parking to the Atrium Building at 215 S. Washington Square.

Additions will be focused on the building's side facing Grand Avenue and will be part of an architectural concept expected to be made public in 30 days, Gentilozzi said.

Gentilozzi has not yet released how many units this will be. What else is worthy of note is that he wanted to buy the neighboring Hack's Key Shop property, but couldn't nail it down. This will probably make the structure taller than it might as well have been. The owner of the old Hack's building says that she's received interest from several banks looking to move, which I'm not sure means move from within existing buildings downtown, or a new bank for the area.

Either way, the decimation of Grand Avenue has always been a crime and I've been waiting for YEARS for them to correct the mistakes the city allowed along it by basically turning it into a parking lot.

BTW, the article also mentions that the city's purchase agreement for Lake Trust's building at Capitol and Lenawee expired last year and the city will be putting out another RFP in a few weeks. This relates to the potential move of the city hall, which I really doubt will happen with a new mayor coming in.