MSP Headquarters

Comments

• I have gone from eagerly awaiting this project to hoping it falls through. I can't get over how ugly this will be and how much permenant surface parking it will create.
  • The plans aren't going to change significantly, and I echo everyone's sentiments. I really hope it fails even though it's more likely than ever before to go through. I was actually interested in what was taking the developers so long, so this kind of cleared things up.

I knew that this plan, in the short run, actually doesn't save any money, but I was surprised to hear that the building won't even have a helipad. For as much money that is being spent on this, you'd really think they'd go all out on the design.
  • I don't know. I think the proposal is pretty good looking. As for the wall, I'd rather see a wall that was designed to be there rather than concrete barricades added after the fact. Take a look at the recruiting centers & other military buildings between Saginaw and Oakland. Concrete barriers just aren't a good look at all.
  • edited June 2007
    What about it is even 'pretty good looking'? I haven't been able to find one person that thinks that it's even a decent design, especially considering the cost, and especially considering it being built at a prominent spot in downtown Lansing. It seriously looks like a state prison or military bunker.

One doesn't expect much from government architecture, but this is even horrible by government architecture standards.
  • Yeah, I'm sick over the whole project.

LMich and Hood-

Have you guys (or gals?) thought about speaking at city council about this?
  • It definitely would be worth it to at least voice your opinion at City Council. It would be nice to organize a group of people who are against the proposal and get some publicity about this proposal.
  • And it'd be nice to see some intelligent individuals interspersed among the regulars at City Council meetings.
  • Never considered going to a council meeting, for a couple of reasons. FIrst, the council doesn't typically listen to people anyways, I don't like the types of people that do speak, in this projects case in particular its already out of the hands of the city. Also I currently have class at LCC at the time council meetings are at. The biggest one though is that it really is a lot of hassle to make little or no difference in the end.
  • Yeah, I think you're right hood. The usefulness of the public comment time has been diminished by the regulars and their incessant, incomprehensible, and occasionally incoherent ramblings.
  • Shame really but I fear you guys are right. The fools have ruined it for the rest of us.