General Lansing Development

Comments

• I noticed those like 3 days before they sold. I think it was like 65k. The site cleanup is probably no joke. Not a great location, but close to old town and it could look great. I think it's open right now, no second floor. You could do like three vaulted ceiling condos with half floors on the top and it'd look great.
  • Wow! What a cool project! This is the kind of thing that will make Lansing unique. Definitely a gorgeous building. I don't quite understand how the basement unit will be feasible?

I would say that this stretches Old Town's reach further northwest than it has ever been. To me it feels like Old Town goes out to the little breakfast restaurant on the north side, Zoobies to the east, Oakland to the south, and all the way out to School or the Blind to the west (I think this is a really exciting connection/expansion that has been happening slowly and organically over the last ten years).

• I agree it's not a good spot for apartments but there's probably potential for some really cool spaces. If they do things right I would think they could get five people to live there without too much trouble.

• Oh, if the developer goes through on this, the apartments will be spoken for before they even finish. Finding tenants isn't going to be hard at all.

Knowing the former Demmer plant across the street, a bit, if I foresee any trouble it may be keeping tenants. I knew someone who worked there not that many years ago, and he told me that they didn't have air conditioning for the workers, so they used to keep some loading doors open on hot summer nots to air out the plan during the graveyard shift. The noise from that may end up being a problem, I don't know. Oh, and I can imagine the noise coming off the viaduct is going to be noisy, too.

All that said, people live right off El tracks in Chicago, and even here in Lansing the condos on Pere Marquette Place backing right up to the railroad tracks are never empty long. But, yeah, it's a weird location. The first planning office staff report on the project kind of referenced how weird this is (totally surrounded by other parcels zoned 'heavy industrial'), and suggested that maybe it should be renovated for unique laboratory space or a repair shop or a small manufacturing facility.

I'm just glad this is being saved for something. The LBWL has done a fairly good job compared to other cities of making sure it's old unsued infrastructure - particularly it's old, historic substations - is reused or maintained as-is.

• It may be just a change in a company name but I noticed new for sale signs on the REOtown sign lot at M.X. and S. Washington. There have been for sale signs there all along while they have been working on the hotel and apartments planned for this spot I was wondering if these news signs meant any changes in the project.

• I believe the sign changed due to Martin Company no longer being affiliated with CBRE (Coldwell Banker). New logo = new signs.

• Thank you that is what I was thinking, but I wonder why they still have for sale signs if Urban Systems already owns this lot?

• edited January 2019

Urban Systems has not purchased the lot yet. They are likely not rushing to purchase it until the city council signs off on the rezoning. Developers don't buy property (if they don't already own it) unless they are sure they have all of their legal ducks in order. They just had the public hearing for the rezoning back on the 11th. The rezoning it likely to get back before the full council sometime next month.

BTW, this should probably be in the REO Town thread.

• Thank you, I guess that is why I see the for sale signs in place for other spots that are going to be developed. I have been wondering about that. I promise to post on the right page!

• Hey, I'm not the police; I'm not a mod. lol It was just a suggestion since the project is in REO Town.