Off topic thread

Comments

• Oh, there are lots of good skyline views, like on the near east side from Art's on W. Kalamazoo. Westbound on Michigan Ave from behind the SJC Building and the Capitol dome is cool framed by trees on the west side.. Down at the riverfront park looking up river towards downtown is a really nice view on a sunny day sun glinting off of the water. When you fly into Lansing the landscape looks like a forest with a city in the middle. There was a candy bar ad that used the view from 496 as a backdrop whenever I notice that ad I'm like hey that looks familiar! The "Bijo"/Olds tower with its clock face, the classic Capitol Building, brick buildings and no glass towers I think are what makes the skyline unique interesting and photogenic.

• edited December 2018

I found this twitter account a few days ago, and now the LSJ has written a story on it:

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2018/12/07/lansing-facts-parody-twitter/2204772002/

It is an awesomely funny and clever account that focuses on local humor.

• This does not sound good:

https://www.facebook.com/LansingEastsideGateway/photos/pcb.1560455344056982/1560455320723651/?type=3&theater

LANSING — A person was found dead after a fire at Lansing Eastside Gateway early Sunday morning in the east side of Lansing.

Lansing Fire Department was called to the 600 block of E. Kalamazoo Street at 5:20 a.m. Sunday for a fire at the incubator for small retail businesses, Steve Mazurek, a spokesman for the Lansing Fire Department, said.

Firefighters were told a person who had been sleeping in the back of the building was still inside, Mazurek said. Due to structural issues, crews were not able to gain access, he said.

About five hours after they were called out for the fire, crews found the body in the structure. The person was pronounced dead on the scene.

There is more info in the facebook thread comments. If someone was living in there, this is going to end worse than it already is.

• Ooof, this is really sad. Sounds like it was a young man (25) with a big heart -- a very positive person from the looks of his facebook page. Really tragic for those involved with this place. I'm sorry if any of you knew this guy or the people running this place. Seems like a great effort and I hope they can continue in some form.

In '99 some friends of mine died in a house fire on the east side. It was smoldering residue from fireworks on their roof. The two were only 19 or 20 years old. They were pretty amazing people and had a ton of friends in the area. The news landed pretty heavily and never really went away.

• I've known the owner Yvonne for more than 20 years. We co-taught Quaker kids for years. It's heartbreaking to see the Gateway along with her other business Go Green Trikes in utter shambles. I knew John from the Buddhist community, at another point in my life when I was truth searching. He was what they say; loving, kind and always willing to give the shirt off his back, There's a prayer and remembrance taking place tonight at the Quaker Meeting House at 1400 Turner at 7pm tonight. A lot of heavy hearts.

• Condolences to those who lost in this fire. If the young man believed as Buddist do, he will be coming back soon and because of his good deeds in this life his next will be better than this.

• Why America’s New Apartment Buildings All Look the Same
    Cheap stick framing has led to a proliferation of blocky, forgettable mid-rises—and more than a few construction fires.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-13/why-america-s-new-apartment-buildings-all-look-the-same

• Now I understand this better, thanks for posting. It seems that its economics over interesting attractive design in most of these buildings. I may be mistaken but it looks like the sticks they are using for the EL highrises are metal, used it the same sort of modular way. I think this method was used for The Avenue building but the Provident building looks like traditional steel, cement and bricks are being used. I am hoping that the 600 Michigan Avenue project does not end up looking like the buildings noted in the article, the same goes for the Y site.

• It may not be new to everyone but I found some very interesting construction project videos on youtube from "The B1M". the videos make it look like every country in the world except the US has super-sized development and infrastructure projects happening, that is because they have forward-thinking leaders who are willing to put resources into them and support from an informed citizenry.
    Just this week in Lansing the "r's" gave a big no-way to the Governor about raising the gas tax but offered no other plan for finding the funds we need for fixing all the infrastructure in Michigan. One of them said the Governor should talk to the "*President" about funding because he loves Michigan! Another said the "r's" are going to hold hearings and meetings because community input is as important as funding! What? They like watching everything fall apart to prove their political point that government does not work. We find ourselves in a time where a 4-mile long dedicated bus lane became impossible because it was talked to death. Here in Lansing where we built an expressway that took ten years to construct at a huge cost of money and the destruction of a whole section of the developed city. Like it or not it was a monumental project, we can do monumental projects. It's time for these folks to offer something besides talk.

• It’s been years so I don’t expect anyone to remember- but we had a discussion about the old Lansing City Limits sign that featured the skyline and the old tower at LCC. Well, thanks to the Lansing Historical Society Facebook group I have it to share here.