General Westside/Delta Township/Eaton County Development

Comments

• It seems like they've been working on that land for the last 10 years.

• I read in LSJ that a group is renovating the former Metro Arena. I had no idea it was still standing. Sexton had a hockey "club" over there for a couple of years in the '70s. My buddies from Quentin Park [where we learned to skate] were on the team. It was like a warehouse inside just like the City Market!

• edited June 2019

Here's the link to remember to include: https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/entertainment/2019/06/11/lansing-city-futsal-delta-township-arena/1333023001/

It's weird, because I'm pretty sure I know where this is - I used to go to play laser tag in a building on the northside of the plaza, I think - but I don't remember a facility this large, there. Looking at aerials, though, it's clearly the east building in the plaza.

That whole area is a testament to failed 60's-era planning. There is too much parking, and it's set too far back. The whole parking lot fronting Elmwood could be taken out and the plaza operate none the worse for it. Though I guess if futsal takes off, there, the over-abundance of parking will make sense.

• Man, it's crazy. I live in DT for 10 years from 1998-2008 and never knew that building was anything other than a regular strip mall. But from the aerials you're right, it's huge.

• I had no idea that was there either. I don't think I've ever heard anyone even mention anything about a place like it, I guess that's part of why it didn't last.
  • It was never much of an attraction. Basically, it was a metal sided pole barn/warehouse with bench seating. Being used to the Civic Center and Munn the building felt cheap and unattractive, it did not have the facade back then. Even at the height of the mall's popularity when it was all happening out there on W. Saginaw the building seemed hidden and out back. It would be great if they make it over there.

• Delta Township is seeking resident feedback for making updates to their master plan.

https://www.deltami.gov/index.php/participate-in-a-community-survey-for-the-2019-delta-township-comprehensive-plan/

Someone claiming to be part of the process is posting on Reddit, there’s a few tidbits to be gleaned from the discussion, namely it looks like Delta is looking at placemaking opportunities and making improvements to the Saginaw corridor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lansing/comments/cb7ots/delta_township_seeks_input_for_master_plan_update/
  • Glad to see this building getting reused.

1d089163-bdc1-49b1-a421-4d57df02b16f-Morleybuilding.jpg?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp

Morley Cos. to hire 500 for Delta Township facility
    DELTA TWP. – Saginaw-based Morley Cos will hire approximately 500 new employees beginning next year for a new facility in Delta Township.

The 166-year-old firm, which provides business services for Fortune 500 companies, selected Delta Township after a nationwide search.

"We looked at a number of different communities," Paul Furlo, Morley's president and CEO told the State Journal. "We felt, after reviewing the Greater Lansing area, that this made a lot of sense for us as a potential growth site."

Morley will move into a currently disused buildiling at 4300 W. Saginaw Hwy., constructed in the 1960s as a Catholic high school.
  • Awesome news. Pay isn't great at $13-$14 but it's better than no job. Love that the vacant building will be utilized.
  • Yeah. When I read the article on this last night I noticed that they were specifically looking for those with a high school diploma, or those working towards an associates. To me that read as low pay and high turnover. I'm thinking a call center type of place when they state " business services".

Still good to see this place being utilized. It was last used by the state right? I swear I remember seeing some SOM signage on it driving down that way 5-6 years ago. Can't remember which agency, though. I know LARA has some people out over by Horrock's.