Off topic thread

Comments

• I remember those signs, this one was next to Fisher Body on W. Michigan Ave. Artistically it is a nice logo.

• edited August 2019

Looks like Bing maps updated their aerial maps for the area, today. Not exactly sure how recent they are without looking back at some of these posts, but they show the site for Provident Place on Michigan cleared, and the same with Eastern's football stadium. The previous aerials were at least two or three years out of date as the Outfield on the back of Oldsmobile Park wasn't even yet show completed.

https://www.bing.com/maps/

• Nice find- my neighborhood arial on the south side is from last summer. I see an improvement in my yard that I did last summer, but I also see my garden, which I didn't grow this summer.

Based on the color of the grass and the growth I recognize in my yard I'd say it was late July or August 2018...at least in my neighborhood.

• I am posting here to mention several different things I noticed traveling around Lansing yesterday. I took East Mt. Hope out to the post office and it was so beautiful! I had not been that way in a long time due to the condition of the road so it was really great to drive on the new pavement and be able to relax and enjoy the scenery. They have also repaved Harrison up to Collins. Collins is still a mess. Driving by the new hospital I was impressed by the size of the building that is taking shape. It looks like it is being built in a traditional manner with steel beams. The new housing at Collins and Jolly Road is also a big project that is growing up out of the old motel site. This too is impressive for it's size, it looks like a whole new neighborhood is going up over there. I was happy to see some pitched roof lines on some of the buildings which are being constructed mostly of wood. I wanted to go to Woody's after the PO but found Harrison closed at the RR crossing so I went around noticing the new water tower with it's new Michigan State University emblems proudly displayed. The new wooden building at the old power plant is looking really cool. Over on Trowbridge, behind Woody's I noticed the new hotel[it's hard to see from the road]l which looks good but it seemed smaller than I was expecting. The retail building in front of the hotel looked like it had just been finished and did not have any businesses opened there as of yet.

• edited September 2019
    The "Below the Stacks" mural festival is really bringing color to the city. I noticed one of the murals along a building on East Oakland, today. Here is one example from their facebook account:
    70917893_715461195544272_7047527723366875136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQn-nNq-PQYh6ODbS6QwPL46wU8yXL75n9f8wVQ70I3HxD0KvuCI7clR4pjXQbsoN84lGMh94hif_Y593mE7ju0x&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.fna&oh=e2f129c1f63cc9a7de58fb141cfc02ab&oe=5E0289A2
    Edit: https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/a-sneakpeekat-the-below-the-stacks-murals,13298
    20190919-162506-190918Ahptic.JPG
    20190919-162456-190918peremarquette.JPG
    20190919-162503-190918centennial.JPG

• I drove by two big projects in the Lansing area yesterday on the way up north. The dairy plant in St Johns is near finished, it looks like a launch facility [ I read they want to build a real rocket launch facility near my cabin in Iosco County!:{ ] and they plan to produce 800,000 pounds of cheese a day! I was thinking this amount could be a misprint, that seems like a whole lot of cheese. A bit further up the road, the new giant windmills near Ithica are in action and the silo complex that has been under construction for years is finished. I believe one thing they are producing there is corn syrup as there are now lines of rail tanker cars that carry corn syrup lined up at the complex. Oh and the angry farmer who puts up signs next to 127nb in St Johns has some new very nasty signs up on his barns, that guy must be a real misogynist peach. I feel sorry for people who have to pass those signs every day.
  • I noticed while watching the news reports about the tornados in Nashville TN that several of the destroyed buildings looked very much like the new apartment buildings [mainly wood] they are building here in Lansing. They did not stand up to the storm very well. I wonder what kind of "storm-proofing code requirements" if any we have here in Lansing. In hurricane-prone areas, the roofs have to be securely strapped to the walls. I do not know if this would help in a tornado, but losing the roof often leads to total destruction of a building.
  • I know it's not really a page for politics here, but I have to say that what I witnessed Wednesday was quite alarming. I was sitting here at my desk when about ten vehicles pull into the office building's parking lot next door. They all get out each one armed with semiautomatic assault rifles! I guess they had to get out of their cars because they wanted to show off their big guns which could not be seen from inside. I have been a witness to a lot of history in my life, in the '80's I lived in Provincetown Mass there I witnessed much death and suffering. I went to The March On Washington in '87 we literally had to scream in Regan's face to get them to do anything about AIDS. There comes a time for yelling and screaming at fools to wake them up and show them I for one am not going to take it anymore. While it may have been childish or even dangerous I started yelling at these morons as they trooped up S. Washington like a bunch of Nazis. I used colorful language to let them know they were not welcome on our street. I was joined by several others in our building and from across the street. Of course, the gun nut's response was quite predictable calling me a faggot, etc... I'm pretty sure having a phallic gun fetish Is a lot queerer than I am. What was even worse in a way was when I traveled over to the northside to go to the better mmj shop I was disgusted to see the morons filling out streets with their misogynistic lies about our governor blocking the streets leading to Sparrow! and just basically terrorizing everyone in downtown Lansing. I returned via N Grand River[they were even backed up all the way to MLK] and Waverly Rd to see the Nazi troop marching back to their illegally parked cars. Again I and others told them to get off our street, some responded with offers to fight if I would just come down. One even took his gun off his shoulder and put his rifle on the ground, "see I don't have a gun come on and fight me!" Another was about to point his at our building but thought better of it when I showed him the paper I written all of their plate numbers on. I know it might not have been very brave to shout at these fools from the fifth floor but I am not dumb enough to go down and confront 12 armed men! I called the Mayor they said they could not stop this from happening because of the First Amendment and open carry laws. I told them that was not a good answer, is it not a health emergency? these people are no dought spreading the virus, well the governor wants to preserve citizen's rights. I told them that was not a good enough answer. They close the streets for Silver Bells, they can close the streets for a protest they have done it before. In many places the will give protesters one place to protest and block them from going anywhere else in the city. Later that night I found myself filled with fear and regret, had I endangered my home and family by telling those Nazis what I thought of them? Are they going to come back and shoot at our windows? Why had I wanted to leave peaceful liberal Massachusetts and move here to my hometown and state filled with -rumpskyites and gun nuts? I have felt a bit better today and now enjoy seeing the empty peaceful street outside my window. I am still asking myself a lot of questions. We have to be brave and fight, now is the time to start yelling!
  • Random question: Are any serious people behind the push to remove the mayor? I'm not a fan of Schor for his lackadaisical attitude and somewhat weak leadership but I hardly think that makes for grounds to push for resignation, I don't think any of the police actions recently in Lansing give a good reason to do so either. Anyone else's thoughts on this?
  • edited June 2020
    I can't imagine myself voting for him, again, for a whole host of reasons, his response to this whole situation being only one of them. Kind of thought having someone who appeared Bernero's polar opposite would be a nice change. But I've just heard way too many stories about dysfunction and a hostile work environment in city hall to think he's up to the task of leading the city where it needs to be.

But, no, there is no serious movement to recall him, and no serious challenger is on the horizon as far as I'm aware of. Things would only get worrisome for him if he lost the faith of our state legislators, council and community organizations and none of that has happened.