General Lansing Development

Comments

• I will hope for a positive reaction to the new plan, I think any improvement would be welcome over there but people do have to get their two cents in that is for sure. The open space is really just an old playground field with no park-like features, what's there to protect?
  • lol, the City Market is going to become a fancy shuffleboard club:
    LANSING - The former home of the Lansing City Market may become the Lansing Shuffleboard & Social Club, Mayor Andy Schor announced Tuesday.

The project, from development firm Detroit Rising, would represent a $3 million investment in the vacant facility that sits along the Grand River in downtown Lansing.

Plans include food vendors as well as entertainment, community space and other amenities alongside shuffleboard facilities and a second-floor mezzanine.

Detroit Rising envisions the full-size shuffleboard space as host to leagues as well as casual players, with both indoor and outdoor courts.
  • Finally, a rendering of the Lake Trust rendering for their branch at Washington and St. Joseph. It's basically their cookie-cutter version.

EhZQbz6X0AA-RmU?format=png&name=small
  • I noticed the pine poles[why?] being installed the other day. The design is OK looking but seems, as I have said before, dated. It's almost 2021 let's get some new intriguing ideas! It is good to see a building fill that empty space.

I have to say that a shuffleboard club! was not on my list of ideas for the City Market. Are young people taking up shuffleboard? I am a member of the "disco generation" and we don't shuffleboard [or at least I don't!!]. It could be fun I guess, but they will really need to makeover that awful pole barn to create a space that will draw people in. If the vendor's spaces are the same as before with the sort of temporary looking booths set up on the cement warehouse floor I would not hold much hope of success. I really wish that Lansing would create a city-owned facility/attraction there and not be providing a public space for a privately owned business to set up shop in the middle of downtown[like the bar they just kicked out], or just take down the pole barn and expand the Rotary Park. I will cross my fingers on this one and hope it is a wild success! and draws thousands of shuffleboard players from all over the state!
  • edited September 2020
    Not sure how I feel about this. While I've never been for aggressive actions to force out the City Rescue Mission from its current location, it also seems weird that they are actually going to expand given how the neighborhood has changed. On the plus side, this at least means those two buildings will be preserved.

From the Lansing City Pulse:

20200910-160316-RESCUE%20MISSION.jpg
    THURSDAY, Sept. 10 — Additional space could be available soon for those struggling with homelessness as the City Rescue Mission of Lansing charts expansion in the 600 block of Michigan Avenue.

Director Mark Criss told City Pulse today about early plans to expand the Rescue Mission’s existing men’s shelter into the two buildings to the west of the shelter in the 600 block of Michigan Avenue. It is just across the street from the grocery store, hotel and apartments being built in Lansing’s Stadium District
    The Rescue Mission purchased a vacant law office at 605 E. Michigan Ave. (and the empty loft apartments above it) last month to the immediate west of the mission. Criss also said plans are underway to buy the neighboring vacant commercial building at 603 E. Michigan Ave.

Tenants still live inside that building, but they’re expected to vacate by the end of the month. From there, renovations could take another few years as the mission opens its “next chapter” following a 2010 renovation of a school for the current women and children’s center, Criss said.

The two-building expansion is a sign that at least the Rescue Mission is here to stay, Criss said.

I'm also curious how the guy who has been renovating his building at the corner into a residential building feels about the plans?
  • I could look at this two ways, one may be that Lansing is not ashamed of its charity and homeless people there it is right on our main street. The Mission dates from a time when this was kind of skid row and is perhaps the last remnant of that time on that block, they were there first. The other view is there may be a better place to build another male shelter, the Mission might better renovate these two buildings into market-rate apartments collect high rents to help their cause, and find another building at a less prominent location for the shelter. If it were me I would rather have my shelter away from the main street for a little privacy and dignity. I hope the day comes soon that we will not need another homeless shelter in Lansing.
  • I'd think it make since to build a nice expanded shelter where Volunteers of America of America is on Larch, though I doubt they'd combined their missions. If not that, maybe they could purchase the "Back 40" just south of the VOA. The VOA built a nice health clinic staffed by Sparrow a few years back, and it's cut down on a lot of problems at the shelter and surrounding area. It'd be nice if the City Rescue Mission could be near that.
  • I'm not a fan of this at all. There's no reason further concentrate the homeless population of the whole area into one of the most important business districts in the area, especially one that's struggling to get over the hump and reach sustained growth. I'd like to see the homeless shelters in the area more spread out and preferably in as small of facilities as are practical to operate. I'm assuming this is basically a done deal and that the zoning already allows for this expansion? I really don't think the Rescue Mission cares about the well being of this business district or downtown as a whole, they could get a far better and larger facility for the money their current location would be worth.
  • Call me a NIMBY all you want but I think expanding the current location is not ideal for the current shelter nor the city as a whole. Like others have said above it seems like it would make more sense to sell or rent the current properties and use that money to build a facility elsewhere. That way you don't have to retrofit old buildings and get it how you want it right away. Just my thoughts.
  • Yeah, let's hide the homeless and less fortunate. Certainly wouldn't want visitors to think that we have homeless and indigent people in Lansing of all places! We should tuck them away, lest someone think poorly about our glistening city. Sorry, tongue-in-cheek here. As a "Rescuer", working hands on with the mission, I know that we have been duty bound to maintain the facilities, adhere to strict guidelines and save lives, one at a time. Bully that Gillespie decided to build across the street, the LCRM has been in that same spot since the 20's, and was started in the middle of a burgeoning market area without trepidation. This kind of attitude is exactly what is wrong with gentrification. We can all co-exist. Really! Just my thoughts.