The Lansing River Trail

123457»

Comments

• I was biking the river trail yesterday, I had just crossed into the Elm Street Park near S Washington when I spotted a six-point buck deer munching on grass in the shade! I never see bucks[lots of doses] at my cabin in the middle of the woods so it was fun to see one in REOtown! I hope he went back into the Potter Park woods. The rivers are very very low maybe the deer just walked downtown from the eastern woods on the dry banks.
  • I have seen SO many doe on Moores River Drive in people's yard this year west of MLK, more than I've ever seen. Might be the effect from the shutdown a few months ago continuing.
  • There are normally a small herd of deer along Pleasant Grove just north of Holmes. I'm in Churchill Downs and about halfway into our lockdown about 15-20 deer came running down Churchill Ave and into the neighborhood, it was surreal.

This year I've noticed that I'm seeing more bucks along the river trail this year too, big heads of antlers. Prior to this summer, I don't know that I've ever seen a buck on the river trail, and now it's been a few this summer.
  • The city has installed a gate at the parking lot by the dam in Moores Park, with an orange construction type sign stating the date the parking lot will close. I wonder if this is for more work on the dam or River Trail? It does not seem like a security issue I'm guessing because of the orange signs. Down the trail on Moores River Drive, the State has installed a new very tall black post fence with pronged spiked tops on each fence post! Then built another nice wooden fence inside the new perimeter fence. There are also several new security cameras insight. The fence is not bad looking but it makes me a little sad to see this change in my old neighborhood. It was always a source of pride to have the Governor's Mansion in that neighborhood basically just like the other homes in that neighborhood with no big fences surrounding the property. Of course, I know why they are doing this, as the gun yahoos, rumpskyites, and open now nuts have been showing up at the gate. Which I found very upsetting to witness, I'm sure the Governor did as well! What a sad and stupid world we live in today.
  • edited October 2020

I would love to see the river trail go under MLK. We live west of MLK and that bit is the such a scary part to cross with small kids. Coming off the bridge, people treat that stretch the indy 500.

Also, re deer, they are out in force! We had 5 in our yard a couple days ago and that is pretty regular in my neighborhood.
  • I have been thinking the same thing, there was a bad accident just up from there at Hammond and MLK just yesterday. In the old days, you could pass under the Logan Street bridge. We used to call the trail under there and through the woods down to Moores Park the Indian trail. I don't know if there is enough space down there these days. They do race, over that bridge it's kind of scary to even make a right turn. Maybe a signal there that the trail riders could activate would help.
  • Not sure how I missed it, but on the Lansing River Trail Rehabilitation page on August 29th there was a summary of upcoming projects. They include rehab or replacement of 6 bridges, as well as new trails or extensions as listed below from the page:
      "
    • Bear Lake Pathway: Path extension from Cavanaugh Road north to Forest Road. This pathway is designed and being advertised in cooperation with MDOT. Construction is expected to start spring of 2021.
    • Forest Road Pathway: Path extension from Bear Lake pathway at terminus at Forest Road east to Forest/Collins Road then north along Forest Road to Harrison Road. This project is currently in the design phase. Construction is planned for 2021, 2021 or both. This project will likely be in two phases as there is significant coordination needed between the city, businesses, and MDOT.
    • Collins/Forest Road Commuter Connection (still trying to find a good name): This project is a combined pathway/on-street facility that is in the conceptual stage at this time. The city and stakeholders are working out details with respect to final alignment, etc. If everything aligns, this could be constructed in 2021. The link would extend from Jolly Road north to Harrison Road.
    • Fenner Pathway: This pathway will connect the existing River Trail terminus at Aurelius Road and Mt Hope Avenue with the Bear Lake Pathway terminus at Forest Road. Environmental reviews have been completed. This trail may be constructed with city staff.
    • River Trail Extension – Saginaw to Oakland: Funding was recently secured for this extension which parallels Grand Avenue. The city may do this project entirely in-house."
    Looks like a good year for system expansion in SE Lansing if they can get to everything. If all these come to fruition, there will be some nice alternatives to walking in the grass/road for MSU students living in the area of the new McLaren hospital. Right now, I feel so bad for them because it's so dangerous where they are forced to walk on Forest and Collins Roads.

I'm looking forward to the bridge repairs as well.
  • That sounds promising. The bus stops along Collins are not fun to wait at. There are students that ride up Collins and Forest and this will make it quite nice and I know I will use the new paths.
  • I walked the River Trail to the west to Moorse Park for the first time since the construction projects finished. Just a few patches of new pavement on each side of the park bridge but they are in good spots that even out the trail there. Also a stone bank in front of the small island protecting the base of the bridge. Further up they rebuilt the eroding banks near the pool. I'm not sure what required the big cranes etc. work on the dam I guess, but they are all gone. They also built a small extension of the trail into the area above the dam. Down the road, they rebuilt a big section of the riverbank just past Frances Park and repaved the trail from that point up to Mt Hope, so you can stroll along the river there again.
  • Walking to Beekman Center tonight I noticed a backhoe, bulldozer, and small excavator on the horse trail near where it crosses Wabash. Hopefully that means that construction work starts soon!