Off topic thread

Comments

• Nearly everything that has happened this year in Lansing has been so unreal so upsetting at times and nearly all of the blame for this can be laid at the door of the present administration and its enablers in the Senate who are traitors [add Tim Walburg] that seem to actually hate this country. The economic stress that many folks had before the pandemic was perhaps manageable has now become unmanageable economic distress with crime and violence, rejoining with old gangs as ways to get some money. All we needed to do was get people some relief, so they would not have to return to crime and violence as a solution to their problems. The country and Michigan are awash with guns this is also the result of the twisted logic of the gun lobby who is funded by the NRA. The NRA has taken huge amounts of money from Russian interests which seek to sew anarchy in our country. To me, a gun is a gun legal or not the results of their use are the same. How many lawmakers here in Lansing have taken this money, and then passed the laws that allow openly armed thugs to march past my building on South Washington Avenue in my hometown to go on to storm our Capitol Building. These same people install lies and fear in the minds of the people who now feel threatened and must now arm themselves. I would say far more households have guns to steal now. The Senate candidate in GA just yesterday was spouting out the same nonsense, "the radical left-liberals will end the Second Amendment and take your guns away!"[ I would not mind if that happened!]
    All of this could have been prevented, murders in Lansing, 275,000 deaths in our country, all for their money guns, and glory. It is all working out just how they wanted, the poor the black and brown dying, turning back to crime shooting each other, it is so evil I can not begin to understand. [rant ends!]
  • My house wasn't the recent one on the news. I didn't even notice my house had been shot until the following morning as it was contained to the porch. The following week when my neighbor was shot was on the news. That was back in early to mid November though. That was her second time in six months being shot if that tells you anything...

It is just crazy right now everywhere. I do think the attitudes, rhetoric and pandemic aren't helping at all right now. I was looking at a stat on LPDs website about major crimes from 2010 and 2018 and it does seem that post 2018 would have significant upticks. If I remember correctly, this year is more than double the murders for Lansing compared to 2018. I can only imagine how bad the number of gun crimes not involving murder are. I just wish they'd get some type of control on it!
  • edited December 2020
    Yeah, it's bad everywhere this year. Everything's kind of upside down. In the first months of the pandemic when we had the lockdowns, crime went WAY down just about everywhere and then BOOM, shot through the roof. Just a really unsettled year. I'm thinking it's an abberation, but we definitely can't count on that.

The chief was on the news the other day; he said that the department's confiscation of illegal firearms is up 22% from the same period last year, and that that was the major factor. I don't want to get into a big political debate, but where do people think illegal guns come from? Illegal gun factories? We know the solution.

Edit: Speak of the devil. Looks like the LSJ has a story behind its paywall saying this is the highest homicide count in 30 years; which is when I imagined violent crime was this bad (late 80's/early 90's).
  • Today I heard about a huge project that is being planned for the Grand Rapids downtown riverfront. It is a big plan with large parks, pedestrian bridges over the Grand River and a river rapids course and zipline rides over the river, a large performance center along with hotels, housing and retail. I like the big ideas in their plan, even though it is just now in the planning stages they said the first major building in this area is slated to start construction soon. They noted in the report that this is being built in an effort to keep and attract talented people and more population to Grand Rapids. I think Lansing should be making big plans like this for our piece of the Grand River water front. I heard this report on the Grand Valley State University public radio station where they have the best "Oldies" station with no commercials!
  • I wanted to alert anyone here who is renting. Here at the Fountain Place where I have lived for over five years, they recently installed a new manager, she took offence the first week she was here, basically because I asked her to do her job. Long story short I received a letter from the manger regarding our lease renewal. It stated that because the manager felt that we are dissatisfied with living at the Fountain Place that she would not be renewing our lease in June! As of course it turns out there is a clause in our lease that states that either party can decide to not renew the lease and does not have to provide any reason for not renewing! I would have never noted that clause as I would have never thought I could be put out arbitrarily because the manager does not like me. That seems wrong to me, after being a tenant in good standing for five years, but she had that power and used it. I would suggest that you look over your lease to see if this clause is included, if it is then be sure to "make friends" with the manager.
    So now we are in the market for a house, and I don't know if anyone has noticed, I didn't, that the Lansing real estate market is "white hot" with houses selling with in 48 hours of being listed! I thought I was the only one that knew about Lansing! There was an article about this subject in the online LSJ [subscription] after reading it I felt the pressure is on. I am trying to look at this as the universe telling me to move on but right now my timing appears to be bad.
  • Wow I'm sorry to hear that gbd. That really sucks. Yeah the housing market is on fire everywhere with interest rates so low and supply at an all-time low as well. I hope you are able to find a new home without too much stress.
  • Thank you, I know I will find something and we can always move into my cabin if we have to!
  • Not that my trials of finding a new place are very interesting, but I decided not to be a part of this "white hot" real estate market, houses in the range I wanted to pay that I was looking at were over priced and pretty sad to say the least, most of them in far South Lansing which is the least walkable area of Lansing and really not where I want be. I would say if there any sellers out there and you are offering a decent house you will get a good price right now. If you are a buyer you are going to pay top dollar and it may not be worth that much in a year or two. I am moving into The Newman Lofts, in downtown East Lansing and look for a house next year. We will be the first to live in our apartment, which is very nicely appointed with large rooms, a beautiful kitchen, big windows, and a big patio overlooking the treetops to the north. The private park up there is really nice, seems very well maintained not like an after thought where they put some trees on the roof and call it a park! The community rooms and gym are wicked sweet and there is a laundry in each apt... Downtown East Lansing is truly walkable with everything within blocks and MSU across the street. Of course the rent is pretty steep but I believe it is worth it especially compared to funky old The Fountain Place where I am sure are they are going to put in some new kitchen appliances cabinets and counter tops and then charge almost as much as the Newman Loafs. New counter tops will not make it[The Fountain Place] worth $1,200 a month. So I guess I will be meeting some fun "boomers" in my 55+ "active seniors" building. Movin on up to the East Side!
  • Congrats on the new home. Yeah I agree these prices are very out of line with reality. I've seen some really bad places get top dollar recently. I feel bad for people who have to buy right now. Newman Lofts sounds really nice and downtown East Lansing is very walkable and centrally located too.
  • Thanks! The building is named after an MSU architectural design professor and I believe that the extra nice design for this building reflects some of his ideas for urban living.