General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Why does it always seem like EL has development woes? I also agree in that I would trust MSUFCU over Vlahakis. To me it reads as though he has perpetually operated in bad faith, much like the rest of the old landholders and prospective developers on this multi-block area abutting Grand River.
  • When we were looking at apartments at the Newman Lofts were shown one that looked out on this area, I asked about the construction that is visible in this photo behind the hotel as I thought it may be the beginning of the credit union building, the agent said it was going to be 55-plus housing going in there. I do not remember hearing about a new housing project being built there. Is this part of the hotel project or the start of a new project? We chose a Grove Street view!
  • @gbdinlansing Yeah, there's another building that's part of the City Center project yet to go up on Evergreen. I'd forgotten about that project, I don't remember how long they have to complete it per their agreement with the city.
  • The Park District development agreement says this about "Building C" (341 Evergreen):
    "The Developer shall pay the required fees and submit the applications for building permits and plans for Building Cwithin 18 months of the issuance of a certificate of occupancy for Building A."

I think The Abbot (Building A) got its occupancy certificate - at least it's temporary one - in August of last year, so they still have quite a few months before they are forced to start on the Evergreen building on Valley Court Park. It will be 6 stories an 64 feet tall.
  • @Darklink It's amazing that the trials and tribulations from 2006 are still spilling out. It's really taking a long time to clean up the mess but we're now starting to see the fruits of the labor.
  • The Graduate Hotel has put up a nice new sign on the top floor facing Grand River, it has a stylish script letters, I believe the hotel is close to opening. I like the look of this building and that is stands out from the others in this development.
    They are wrapping up the repaving of Abbott, lining the lanes today.
    I am enjoying living at the Newman Lofts if you know anyone 55+ looking for a new place it is really a great building. My view of the urban forest canopy is really beautiful. It can be a bit noisy when the motor cycles cruise Albert but not as bad as the trucks on S. Washington. We are spoiled by having campus all to ourselves these days, it will be very different this fall.
  • The reconstruction of Evergreen Street behind the Graduate Hotel looks very nice and seems near completion. I peaked in the windows of the hotel lobby and I was surprised by the quite elegant decoration of the room along with a large portrait of Ervin Magic Johnson behind the front desk. I think this will be the nicest hotel in Greater Lansing.
  • Anyone got some updated drone shots of east lansing or any new pictures? I've heard it's quite the downtown now.
  • edited June 2021
    @JazperG A guy on YouTube named John McGraw has done some drone videos over Lansing and East Lansing, I think these are his two most recent:

• They started on what I assume is the new Techsmith building in the last few weeks. It looks like they're digging the foundation up fairly close to Harrison, which is a promising sign imo.