General East Lansing Development

Comments

• I guess you could say the design reflects some aspects of the Mid-Century design you find in many MSU buildings, like the Library. If you look at it with this in mind the design is more understandable.

On the subject of East Lansing development, one notable thing is the way the Newman building /parking structure on Albert has really finished and created a popular urban street scene with lots of foot traffic busy restaurants and bars. It is a much different feel than having the old parking lot on one side, even the alley between the buildings is a better space to walk in. People are really enjoying the closed Albert Street summer fun area. The corn hole games go on all night! Over at The Graduate my sister enjoyed her stay very much, the décor is MSU/Michigan [the state not the school] centric I guess you could say almost over the top fancy cottage/frat house. It's cool if hard to describe. The public is welcome at the coffee-stand if you want to go in and check it out. The roof top bar will open in August when they get their license. Behind there they are laying down the black top on Evergreen and planting lots of grass behind the hotel and the church. It looks nice. They also finished the last part of the sidewalk out front so Grand River Ave is all open there again.
  • Guess MSUFCU and its neighbor finally got their issues worked out. lol

• OK now I see what the tents were about. It is never "very quiet" here in downtown EL, but I am sure it will be a lot more noise very soon. I am hoping that this building will not block the late afternoon sun we get on our patio. Maybe that three foot move to the south [thanks to the unhappy neighbors] will be enough to keep the sunset view over here. It looks like the building site behind this one is being prepared for work. It would be great if they built these two in the same time frame. I wonder if they could do anything about the loud beeping when trucks go in reverse I have noticed some trucks have a different sound which seems less loud more like a tone than beep beep beep. That sound really echoes down Albert between the buildings.
    I noticed some renovation work finally being done on the alley crossing at Division Street which has been crumbling for many years! Good news for walkers like me.
  • I'm happy to this moving forward finally. Looking at the rendering behind them it looks like it's been downsized to 5 floors, was that already stated before?
  • edited July 2021
    I was going to comment on that. I think the rendering is actually old. The second tweet mentions it being a 7 story building, so I would be surprised if they made the typo.
    But maybe that is what they are referring to as, "the opportunity for up to two floors of leased office space".
  • I was wondering if there is a rendering of the building project behind the bank building? I could be wrong! about the site, but I believe it is the site of the last building in the Abbott/Graduate project. There seems to be a separate surface parking lot if front of this site on the new Evergreen Street, it may be for the new apartment building.
  • I was surprised to see renovation work beginning on the old and worn Seven-11 on Grove Street today! I wonder if it was the last one that looked like it did when I went to school in the '70's. Maybe I will go in there when it is cleaned up. They are still open with no windows! People are still piling in there!
    The demolition of the buildings behind the credit union site also began today. This will be a busy area for while now, and interesting to watch the new buildings going up.
  • The Evergreen site has been cleared except for some foundation walls on the east side are still being worked on. They have set up a construction crew trailer on the site as well. This project seems starting up, as opposed the the credit union site where nothing has really started yet. It may be wishful thinking but so far they have left two or three large trees standing on the site, I hope they might be included in the landscape plan. I can not figure out just how this building will be sited on this corner. They put the trailer right where one might think the building will be.
  • The site preparation for the credit union building began today with crews pulling up the pavement. I am happy that we don't get much noise from the work going on. Behind there the building site on Evergreen has been cleared and filled in with top soil. I guess they don't want a big mud hole to form there before they get started.
  • A new awning has been put up on the College Manor building [Begger's] it looks nice but water drips off right down the middle of the sidewalk. There was an article about EL developments in LSJ yesterday. I did not know they are planning another office/retail building on Evergreen.