Off topic thread

Comments

• I do remember when it was all residential from the north side of the Logan Street bridge all the way down Olds Ave, but I don't remember any sort of loop or short cut on Birch Street. The blocks were in a grid pattern, so I could be wrong but I think Birch Street was just a small residential street. On the south side of the river Birch Street was not even paved back then. GM used Olds Ave a lot for transporting the car bodies from Fisher, the workers all piled onto S. Logan and Main Street. Olds Ave to the east was a public street until GM/Olds did a major expansion in the late '60s and early 70's. Thank you for finding out the name of the church, since I have been back here I was beginning to wonder if there really was a church there and now that you said Friendship Baptist, I'm like oh that was it!
    My Dad ,Uncle, and Grand Father owned the station, and while they owned it, it was a Sunoco Station, they had that dial on the gas pumps for choosing the different grades of gas, and this spinning top like thing that spun while the gas was being pumped. There were also several more gas stations another block to the north, and over the bridge to the south there was a Sinclair Station at Logan and Moores River Drive, I remember the green dinosaur on their sign. It was a very busy corridor back then.
  • edited July 2021
    Oh, you've misunderstood. I was saying that the current configuration of MLK uses the old Birch Street right-of-way north of the river for a few blocks. You can see this as it as the southbound lanes lines up with Birch south of the river. I'd never considered the MLK loop section used an existing right-of-way. It uses it from the river up until about Hillsdale where it cuts back over to join the northbound lanes.

Anyway, here is the intersection of Main and Logan. These are from the 1913 volume of the maps republished in 1953:

52nz8oj05xb3.png

lhhvnza0v7zo.png

• I see you are saying the new south bound lanes of MLK follow the old Birch Street. To be honest I can not remember going down Birch Street on the north side of the river. My Dad was well kind of a "fearful" of passing through that neighborhood himself passing that "fear" to us kids, even though he owned a business right there! We always used Everett Drive to get over to Sexton. While I was going to Sexton I would often walk home to find there was nothing or no one to be afraid of.
  • Disappointed to see a population decrease within the city limits in the last census.
    Breakdown by community via Bridge Michigan
    • Lansing 112,644 (-1,653) -1.4%
    • Lansing Township 8,143 (17) 0.2%
    • Dewitt 4,776 (269) 6%
    • Dewitt Township 4,776 (269) 6%
    • Bath Township 13,292 (1694) 14.6%
    • East Lansing 47,741 (-838) -1.7%
    • Meridian Township 43,916 (4,228) 10.7%
    • Alaiedon Township 2,910 (16) 0.6%
    • Mason 8,283 (31) 0.4%
    • Delhi Township 27,710 (1,833) 7.1%
    • Eaton Rapids 5,203 (-11) -0.2%
    • Charlotte 9,299 (255) 2.5%
    • Potterville 3,3055 (438) 16.7%
    • Windsor Township 7,140 (302) 4.4%
    • Delta Township 33,119 (711) 2.2%
    • Grand Ledge 7,784 (-2) 0%
    • Watertown Township 5,563 (727) 15%
    Also Notables
    • Grand Rapids 198,917 (10,877) 5.8%
    • Flint 81,252 (-21,182) -20.7%
    • Detroit 639,111 (-74,666) -10.5%
    • Ann Arbor 123,851 (9,917) 8.7%
  • Flint - Not surprising, but ooof.
  • edited August 2021
    I don't believe the Lansing or East Lansing numbers. For someone whose lived here since the 90's, the different between the 2000-2010 period and the 2010-2020 period is night and day. Just way too much construction and not having seen enough hemorrage in the neighborhoods to think we actually lost population. Went and looked up housing permits in the city over the decade, which the Census compiles, and there was something like 2,300 units built over the decade in Lansing alone. In fact, the entire tri-county area came significantly under the estimates. Again, I'll have to look at the numbers when they put them into the census.data tool, but even smaller household sizes can't really explain these numbers.

Only big surprise I've seen was Dearborn at 109,000; Warren and Sterling Heights also grew more than expected. Clinton Township was the other municipality to cross the 100,000 mark.
  • It doesn't seem right but it is what it is. Perhaps with the resurgence of the east side there's been a significant uptick in students renting over there, or throughout the city for that matter. It doesn't take a huge chunk of 50k students to make up the kind of difference you'd otherwise expect to see.
  • I had a thought that the difference with the lower numbers may be related to right wing antigovernmental propaganda that was out there at the time which convinced some people not to respond to the census. I could see 16 hundred of those type of folks believing the lies about the census, it could also be some people just were lazy and did not take the time to answer the census.
    The wild housing market here seems to say that people are moving here.
  • I am writing about this here because I don't know who to call or write about this. There has been a high pitched alarm sound going off in downtown E.L. 24/7 since the power went off after the storm the last week. It is so loud that I can not sit outside or have my windows open. I am pretty sure it is not coming from my building and it seems impossible to figure out where it is coming from. It seems like we will just have to wait until someone somewhere turns if off, I mean who would I call. It is such a bummer because the weather has cooled off and I would like to use my patio. Got any ideas?
  • "I don't believe the Lansing or East Lansing numbers.", well I think the student numbers will be depressed since MSU wasn't having on-campus classes during the census.
    There has been a notable migration to the exurbs that can be seen by the growths in Meridian Township, Bath, and Potterville.