General Lansing Development

Comments

• Oh, I was just talking about the fact that they'd announced they were lining up a performing arts center, not that they'd already picked a location. My hope is that they used this time to figure out financing for a project like this, and the next step is hiring architects, etc.

The Masonic Temple idea would have been really cool. Can't believe Blue Cross didn't want to sell a surface lot, given that the headquarters just about touches a humongous city garage. lol
  • They've been really unclear about financing, total budget and partnering with a developer. I guess that's what this press conference is probably for though. I'm somewhat assuming there will be a housing element incorporated here and the city won't be buying land or anything.

Yeah, if Blue Cross has no intention of selling that lot at all in the future it will prove disappointing. While I wouldn't have picked the Masonic Temple as the performing arts center, it would have/could make for a cool venue.
  • It would have been an impressive place for a performing arts center at the Masonic Temple building. Of course, Blue Cross could not do without that surface parking lot in the middle of Lansing's downtown. It is great to hear that it may go on S. Washington however, and I hope it will be a "thoughtful design" free of corrugated metal surfaces!
  • I went to the Peanut Shop today and noticed they have begun to plant some good-sized trees behind the Capitol Building. I hope there will be a lot more.
    I also noticed a SOLD sign on the Masonic Temple building on Capitol Ave! I had not heard about this sale; I wonder who bought it?
  • Boji Group bought it last August, said they are considering residential usage for it, which would take quite the reconstruction.
  • Thanks, I guess it was the first time I noticed the sign, and now I remember hearing about it. I thought I was reporting something exciting and new!
  • In some interesting news a study has found that the Lansing metro area is growing at a faster rate than any other in the Midwest:

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/study-pegs-lansing-among-fastest-growing-cities-in-midwest,19831
  • This doesn't square with with either the Census count nor the estimates; it's just not possible particularly given the trends.
  • Kyle edited the article with this:
    Editor’s note: This story has been corrected to clarify that migration trends examined by CommercialCafe were between metropolitan statistical areas, as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau — which locally includes the entirety of Clinton, Eaton, Ingham and Shiawassee counties. Several city-specific references to “Lansing” were corrected to read “Greater Lansing.”
  • @MichMatters I'm seeing a 16.6% growth rate for the Lansing metro area from 2010-2020 in Wikipedia, they're showing a lower population (464k vs 534k) for 2010 than other sources. Do you know if the counties included in the MSA changed?

I'm not sure what to make of the study or the article. They don't make it clear what time frame they were studying and there's some quotes that imply this might be a study only of migration between Midwest metros. Anecdotally the relatively flat 1.4% metro growth shown elsewhere doesn't make a ton of sense given the amount of new construction and renovations over those 10 years, of course 16% doesn't either.