General Lansing Development

Comments

• I've been meaning to post this for a few days now and keep forgetting. The old Napa auto parts store (and another auto parts store before Napa moved there from up the street) across Shiawassee from the Lansing Brewing Company is having work done. I saw some guys on the roof in the evening working on it. Don't know if this is general repair or they are about to move a business in. It's a Gillespie property, so it's never been left to deteriorate.

• edited February 2017

The call center for Inovalon, and IT firm, is set to close this spring. They were the one who redid the storefront in Frando Plus a few years back. 118 jobs will be lost. I had no idea this was just a call center, and while I sympathize with those losing their jobs, perhaps this space can now be renovated back into retail.

• edited February 2017

Some Gillespie observations...

I noticed them putting out some ugly (short) telephone polls out front of Marketplace on Cedar but specifically on their side of the right-of-way. I'm not exactly sure what for, but it looks horrible. Hopefully, it something temporary for some event, and if not hopefully they will be developing this plot, soon.

Also, not really a proposal, but Gillespie's commercial arm is advertising quite a few buildings including 300 N. Larch across from the stadium. What I found interesting was that they have a concept in case someone wanted to redevelop the site:

• That rendering looks pretty detailed, I wonder if it was concept he intended to build or may still build? Of all his colorful buildings this would probably be my favorite if it were built, the multicolored look isn't so bad with the old brick facade next to it. Where did you find the rendering?

• Of course a great improvement, and I also hope it is a plan that is really going to happen.
    Speaking of colorful facades, maybe it's just me an overly harsh judge, but does anyone else think the siding they are putting up on the Sky Vue building looks really cheap and plastic like. I just keep thinking maybe it will look better when it is done.

• Personally, I kind of like it. Crisp and not too pastelly. From what I know about Gillespie, "The Overlook" is a social media marketing plan to get interest in redeveloping the BMC site. It's shown up in my Twitter and Instagram accounts. I would be awesome though, still curious what the old Clara's will end up as - it would make a great performance venue (wishful thinking).

• I wonder if he's looking to sell the building, find a partner for the development or just to gauge interest from possible tenants? As for Clara's I think a performance venue would be a realistic possibility, almost as likely as seeing another restaurant there. I'm honestly more interested in if he chooses to develop the parking lots, I've really wanted to see Pere Marquette evolve into a street with retail/restaurants/bars.

• @MichMatters Regarding the telephone poles by Marketplace, I was there today and saw a note posted on the door of the building. It was advising residents to keep their cars clear of certain areas because of construction, it was outlining the whole U-shaped grassy area in red. I think the incentives and site plan here are already in place, right?

• I looked at The Market Place's web site, which was saying new apartments will be available in Spring 2018, so I guess that means they will be building the new buildings during 2017. The utility poles must be part of the prep. for that new project.

• I really like the potential design of The Overlook. Having four floors along Larch is great, and three floors on the back side is reasonable. The mix of materials looks good too. That orange brick is seen in a lot of places around mid-Michigan, it's not something that I would suspect is regional, but it's nice to see it get used again. I guess this idea shows how The Outfield completely lacks anything focused on Larch, though that area is used as a pavilion and it had to go somewhere.

That's great to hear that the second phase of Marketplace will be getting underway soon. That sounds like we'll start seeing more equipment on site soon.