General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Yes, they added Shiawassee. You retroactively apply that. So it was 534,684 in 2010 to 541,297 in 2020, a significantly lower rate of growth that estimated (about 550,000). And it was even more stark for Ingham County which was estimated to have grown to 292,000 people, but ended up at only 284,000. There stories studying moving data from moving companies and migration and such are always suspect, only because most people reporting on the data don't know how to read it or leave out important context.

I've emailed the mayor's office about this, as I think I've spotted some undercounts in Lansing proper, but it won't be anywhere near the 118,000 were were estimated to have grown back to. As far as I can tell, the lower growth isn't really about lower in-migration, but probably smaller family sizes. The Census data release was a real shock to me, because it really did seem like we'd seen a lot more growth than had what occurred 2000-2010, but deaths seem to be eating into births; people are delaying having children and having fewer as is the trend.
  • Yeah, I don't know what to make of the numbers but it's difficult to argue with statistics. I still believe that an increase in housing going to MSU students, who often aren't going to report that residence on the Census, is part of it. There's also a not insignificant number of houses that have been bought purely to host grow operations. I don't think those factors combined would make up for too much more than a few thousand difference though.

One thing that comes to mind is that besides the general trend of smaller households in the US/western society, the trend of smaller households is even stronger among higher income and more highly educated people. As an area gentrifies many of the households may go from having a parent(s), several kids and possibly some extended family to a single person or couple, not often with children and very rarely more than two, especially in trendier urban areas. I can see that leading to sort of an oxymoron in places that are gentrifying at a moderate pace where population doesn't really grow much, if at all, despite visible new construction and renovations. It's because every dumpy rental remodeled to meet a higher end market or that is bought by single person or young couple represents a net loss in population.
  • There are a couple of interesting articles in the City Pulse this week, one about the City Hall which basically retells the story of the history of city halls that Lansing has built. They hinted at a new or remodeled building and that some developers are still interested but no details about that. The other was about removing the North Lansing Dam, they are actually considering it and the Army Corps of Engineers has already been studying the idea. It went on to say they will look at taking down the Moorse Park dam next as it poses an even higher potential for disaster if it were to fail than the North Lansing dam. It was pointed out that we would not be left with a little shallow stream as some feared. They said they had removed many dams, and no community had been left with a muddy little stream. They install rocks and ramps to create rapids that are passable by fish boats and kayaks and help keep the river level high. The Grand River downtown has been running low for a couple of years and I have noticed the exposed banks have naturalized with grass and small shrubs. the river also looks more natural and runs clearer as it flows over the rocks by the BWL bridge. I think it is a big river and it will respond nicely to having the dams removed.
  • I'm all for replacing the dams with rock rapids if they can keep it passable for boaters, it'd sorta suck if the Michigan Princess couldn't operate anymore though. At the North Lansing Dam I would like to see the fish ladder and attached dam structure on the east bank retained, the fish ladder itself could become a pedestrian path leading down to the river or something and it'd be nice to see the little generator building preserved used for something.

Link to the story: https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/north-lansing-dam-could-be-removed-on-uncle-sams-dime,20016

• I think the fish ladder could be a really great outdoor amphitheater, the bowl shape is already there just ad seats. The generator building could be the stage production/back-stage area. Another idea would be some sort of fountain or water feature with the river water directed to wash around the bowl of the ladder passing over lights or art pieces around the bowl.
    The way I read the story seemed to say they could retain enough depth for boating. It is just my opinion, but I have thought it is odd that the Michigan Princess was located on such a short stretch of the river, maybe they could move the boat to Lake Lansing.
  • A move to Lake Lansing wouldn't be the worst idea for the Michigan Princess although I'd hate to see the city lose the boat. I wouldn't mind either of those uses for the fish ladder, I particularly like the idea of using it as an amphitheater. I just hope they save it and incorporate it into something interesting.
  • A little thing I caught in the minute of the previous planning board agenda. The county land bank requested two lot splits variances to allow two lots to be split for the construction of four single-family homes on the southside. But the more interesting thing is that this is by a small, local developer who will be building 14 houses across the city this year (7 in April and 7 in June/July). Lots of good infill. The developer expects to lists the homes at $165,000 to $175,000, so hopefully they look nice for the price being asked.

On this weeks agenda is the resubmittal of some city-owned property that was considered last year before it ran into some issues with city council, I think. The first is Parking Lot 50 on Pere Marquette (and Shiawassee), and the other is for a property that is a part of North Cemetery across from Meijer on East Miller that was taken into the city as part of the cemetery, but never used as such. Apparently, the two quad-plexes were built on Orchard at Miller and the developer wants additional development on this plot of land.

Pere Marquette
    k5sjss8d7mck.png
    Miller Road
    ala9s6kwkmuu.png
  • Based on that price, I wouldn't hold your breath on decent houses. While it's a decent price for Lansing on existing homes, I can't believe they're able to build them that cheap. Maybe the land will be dirt cheap, that will help, but construction alone is hard to get a basic home built for that price. I am curious to see what they produce.

Several years back, while I worked with a developer, the construction costs alone for a 1600sf home, as basic as possible, was between 250-300k. That didn't include the land cost.

I'm hoping for the best but I'm not sure what they can really produce at that price. It's definitely an adventurous single family project
  • I assume they are just going to be some slapped up habitat-for-humanity style homes with the vinyl siding and minimal amounts of windows. That's all that gets built at the lower end of things; no one's found a way, here, to bring middle housing. I have no idea of this developer's track record, though. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
  • I think that's likely what we'll get, but I hope I'm wrong too. We really could use some middle housing. The housing stock in Lansing is pretty dismal, but it's hard to add/improve the stock when the property values are so low/affordable. At least at that price, I would hope whoever buys them will take care of them. It's got to be an improvement over what's currently there.