General Lansing Development

Comments

• Thanks for the info. I know that MLK is part of M-99, I was kind of bemoaning the fact that ever since it was built it never saw the traffic it was built for, and they destroyed a lot of that neighborhood to build the boulevard.They use to truck the finished cars over to transport lots on Mt. Hope so there were a lot of trucks on S. Logan, and the traffic at shift change was very bad,so I know why they built it. I was a student at Sexton and walked over the new highway as it was being finished and also over the old Logan street bridge on the way home. The old bridge needed replacing but it was a much nicer in design with high arches over the river.

Your Dad's neighborhood must have had more clout than the folks on the west side. They did not let anything or anyone stop 496 and M-99, not even R.E. Olds's own house! I am sure that race my have played a part in who could raise their voice in opposition.

• 1-496 sure changed the dynamics of Lansing. I believe the government took many people's land under the guise of eminent domain, including the Olds Mansion an amazing building from my childhood memories.

• I know that no place is like it was 40 or 50 years ago, it would be a pretty sad place if it were. It seems from the prospective of 2017 that we in Lansing never have been fully repaid for the destruction of our neighborhoods for freeways and roads, for GM expansion, for urban renewal, for the Capitol Complex. What has been built has filled in a lot of what was destroyed, but what has been built is generally [not all] less then spectacular. Our downtown has never recovered from the urban renewal projects of the 60's and 70's. However great it is to race to East Lansing in three minutes at 70 mph, I find they way they have maintained the highway rather disgraceful, and dangerous. The sub station on the garden feels very much the same way, what are we getting for this last little piece of what was a beautiful neighborhood? And do we, did we ever have anything to say about it?

• I had no idea this was even a proposal:

LANSING - A plan for a downtown rooftop bar where drink prices would rise and fall like stock prices is no longer in the works.

Last week, Eyde Company terminated its deal with Lansing Beer Exchange to open on the northwest corner of Washington Square and Washtenaw Street above Domino's.

"We tried to get it going, but we couldn't get it done" said Nick Eyde, principal at Eyde Co. "It's frustrating. We spent two years holding that space, but it's got to be the right fit."

• Yeah, as the article states it's been in the works for a long time now but it looks like the team trying to put it together hasn't been able to get the project fully going. I get the feeling that Eyde has tried to accommodate them for some time, and they may have another potential tenant showing interest so they decided to cut off this project since they hadn't made real progress yet.

• I had heard about it a while ago, and I thought may be a good place for a bar but the whole beer price exchange thing sounded complicated and too focused on a small number of craft beer lovers. I think that the craft beer craze is great but how many more people are going to join this craze? Also a flight of stairs can be a difficult obstacle to overcome, up will see a lot of bars downstairs, but not to many one floor up. Witness what happened to the sandwich shop at the Knapp's building they had no door on the street, you had to go into the lobby through two doors to get to the shop, nobody went in or even knew there was a shop there. I lived in a very busy tourist resort town where it was notable that maybe only two out of ten people walking by would walk up or down stairs or walk a block off the main street. People are use to shopping in a mall where there are no stairs or little alleys. I think Eyde should market that space for offices and focus on the ground floor store front next to the pizza shop for a bar or pub.

• @david_shane Have you heard any updates on the Under-The-Bridge project?

• I am happy to hear that they are opening a coffee shop there. I think these folks will have a good business there, they have a successful shop on Michigan Ave. I thought the name Crafty Palette was the former businesses first and biggest problem. The name said to me Art and Craft Supplies! I never did go in there.

• Funny that I had to go to the Detroit Free Press to find this. The Michigan Women's Hall of Fame is moving out of the Cooley-Haze House in Cooley Gardens to the Meridian Mall. Makes me wonder during the construction of the Central Substation if the city won't just announce that the sunken garden and the rest of Cooley Gardens will relocated, altogether.