General East Lansing Development

Comments

• edited January 2023
    Kind of funny they are just testing it. I kind of want to criticize them being so careful, but Lansing FBC was delayed for quite a few years. But, when we did it, we just did it.

Anyway, this is interesting, particularly since this is probably part of the city I'm not nearly as familiar with as I thought I'd be. Looks like a big portion of it is a historic district, which I'm pretty sure the FBC would just overlap, so you'd still have to go through that process for redevelopment.

v2eodm92y9c7.jpg
  • Yeah, only about four blocks though, looks like just the southern two blocks Orchard and Kedzie St fall within both boundaries. It's an odd historic district anyway, I'd hope the city reconsiders its status as time goes on.
  • edited January 2023
    Ope, you're right. The FCB district will only cover two blocks worth of the historic district, the stuff fronting Kedzie and Orchard. This area was in the original incorporated limits (1907) of the city; it was called the Fairview subdivision and had two additions. The small part of the historic district north of Ann is in the old Strathmore subdivision.

Mocked up this map using the city's GIS map to show the current zoning:

9g06kl406rh6.png

Looks like there are already parts along the alley behind Grand River zoned for the highest density city-center residential. My guess is that the biggest change would be that the stuff along Grand River would get up-zoned where currently, only business-uses are allowed by-right. The FBC - having not looked at what they have proposed - would likely allow mixed-use by-right along the avenue. I could also see the code extending two-family to the light-blue area, which is currently just single-family residential, and maybe up-zoning at the corners in that section for small apartment buildings. I'll have to go take a look at the proposal.
  • There's now some insight on the EL government drama recently. There's a lot to digest here but it seems to basically boil down to a power grab gone awry.

https://eastlansinginfo.news/just-released-8-page-memo-shows-plan-to-remake-east-lansing-government-sheds-light-on-resignations/
  • The work on the exterior of the new MSUFCU building looks to be about finished, they put up the signage at the top and street level of the building and all together imo! the building looks pretty nice, like it is easy on the eyes, just a nicely designed building at least from my view. It does block the sun from our patio in the afternoon so it would have been extra annoying to have to look at an ugly building besides! Albert Ave is closed for the summer so now it will be great when they open up all the south bound lanes of Abbot Rd... Remember the Art Festival is this weekend, so parking will be crazy. I'd park out in the commuter lot and ride the CATA bus if I was coming from out of EL.
  • There's a proposal for a 5 floor, 120 unit affordable apartment building on the city lot at Albert & Bailey, this project would leave an open lot at the corner. Construction could start by the end of the year.

https://eastlansinginfo.news/developer-wants-to-build-affordable-workforce-housing-on-bailey-parking-lot/
  • Sounds like a good plan by people who have the funds and the experience for this sort of project. The depiction of the new building is OK, not very exciting but at least it will be a street level building not adding to the parking ramp canyon on Albert Ave... I like the idea of more non-student housing, which helps the whole downtown community.
  • edited June 2023
    Even though they present it as non-student housing I fully expect it will be 85%+ students/recent grads living there. The income requirements just require that a student is not claimed on their parents tax returns. Once the building is 40%+ students, the 30+ year old population will leave.

The building looks decent. Peanut Barrel will suffer losing the parking lot. I'd like to see the city give the first 2 hours free in the lots. I think that will really help bring more people downtown.
  • I could see that happening. It's also a little disappointing to not see any ground floor commercial space.

2hr free parking would definitely take a barrier away for people wanting to visit down there, do they not do any parking promotions now?
  • No parking promotions that I've heard of. And still the ones that have existed for a long time require a retailer to stamp your parking ticket.