General Lansing Development

Comments

• I think the people complaining to park are just ridiculous. Like you said, rates aren't bad and Lansing has much more free parking that a lot of other cities. Many charge later into the night and on weekends. The complaint that it's hard to find parking is also ridiculous. I've never had a problem finding street parking within a block or two of my destination.

I found the parking app made it a lot easier to pay for parking.

I do agree, they could do a better job letting people know when its free though. I used to work downtown for years, so I've got it down, but I know many don't that aren't there all the time. The free parking on Fridays that they had around the holidays was always a surprise. It was hardly noted anywhere. The parking app is how I always found out.

Is the lot accross from Lansing Shuffle actually a pay lot now? I know it was free back when it was the City Market, at least on weekends anyways. That was a big help for the lack of parking. I'd have paid if it were a convienient situation though. I just always expect to pay in a downtown setting.
  • edited February 2023
    Yes, the lot across the street is, indeed, a paid-lot. Rates are generally cheap; one should not expect free parking in a downtown area.

But, the issue I described wasn't an really about free vs. pay, but signage and education about the new-ish system. The issue I had the other day was #37 right after you turn off Cedar. I wanted to do a cash pay and the signage said there was a pay station in the parking lot, but I never found it so had to use my credit card to get out. Not a huge issue, but definitely an issue if you're not particular tech savy or an everyday visitor to the area.

Anyway, the food is good. Skeptical of the concept, originally, but I'm already mildly impressed.
  • I feel that lot has always been kind of a no man's lot when it's come to whether it's pay or not and how to do so. Generally signage elsewhere is decent, but with that lot I'm never sure. I'll admit, I'm always happy when I don't have to deal with it an figure it out haha.

I was also addressing another users comments about general parking so not all of that applied to just that situation. I went on a bit of a parking ramble.
  • I checked out the Lansing Shuffle the other day. The renovations are pretty nice, [imo] it could use a little warming up in the seating area and some sort of panels or dropped ceilings that would hide the pole barn look better. I did like the restaurant fronts which look much better than the temporary looking booths in old set up. The food choices were interesting; my BBQ Jerk ribs were disappointing good flavor but very dry and tough. And you guys were right about the prices, if I'm paying $30 bucks for my lunch [6 ribs mac &cheese, drink] it would be nice if they served the ribs on a plate instead of a sheet of waxed paper. The Hamalian food however was very good fresh and different, reasonably priced. I think the place may be successful with a little fine tuning, there are still more restaurants being set up and when the weather is better, and they open the stairways down to the river trail lots of people will show up. I was wondering if the ever turn on the fireplace in Rotary Park, it really is good looking, and it would be nice to sit out there on a sunny winter day. East Lansing's fireplace [Lansing's is better looking] is on almost every day.
  • This is incredibly welcome news: Apparently the city has settled on a plan to revamp Michigan Ave, they'd add separated bicycle lanes and reduce eastbound traffic to one lane. Work is expected to cost $11.4 million and begin in 2024. One minor thing I hope they include but is not clear from what's shown are the curb bump outs where street parking ends at intersections and pedestrian crossings, it makes a big difference in aesthetics and makes it a little safer for pedestrians.

https://www.wkar.org/wkar-news/2023-02-13/lansing-explores-redesign-of-east-side-of-michigan-avenue?fbclid=IwAR1WEOsTS4jmdVALTrboxCGWEh4WZpvTzN-neXhcoJ52MCnVlQeKyrfXxk4
  • Was reading through the Michigan Avenue Corridor Improvement Authority's meeting minutes from last month, and it's mentioned in passing that Sparrow is looking to do something "green"-related with the Goodyear site, and that the purchase by Michigan Medicine wouldn't affect that. It brings up something I'd never thought about when I heard the news of the takeover, and that is wondering how much independence will Sparrow have within the system.

Another items I saw was that all four the city's corridor improvement authorities are getting $100,000 grants from the LEDC for projects. Since it's so little, what you'd expect to see are improvements to bus stops along the corridors, a mural, minimal landscape improvements, etc.
  • Found this page with a little bit of info on the merger:
    https://www.uofmhealth.org/sparrow

How independent Sparrow will remain isn't clear but they do say the the Sparrow Foundation will remain separate, that the Sparrow name will not be going away and that they will continue investment in Lansing. A few items I thought were noteworthy:

"...as part of Sparrow joining U-M Health additional pledges and matching funds will be established connected to the Sparrow Capital Campaign that will accelerate some long-awaited improvements on the E.W. Sparrow Hospital campus in Lansing and across the Sparrow Mid-Michigan service area."

"Additionally, U-M Health is committing $800 million in capital investment to Sparrow, funded through hospital operations and strategic investments over eight years."

"For U-M Health, this is an important step toward its vision of a statewide system of highly coordinated care. Sparrow will co-lead in the creation of this statewide system, along with Sparrow Medical Group playing a central role in physician development."

Given Lansing's central location I wonder how much we may benefit from being a part of a more cohesive statewide system? I could see Lansing being an important hub for the some specialties that they can't have in each hospital.
  • Sounds like quite a bit more independence than is typical with these kind of takeovers.
  • There is an interesting artical in the City Pulse about the redevelopment of the S. MLK Blvd. and the Logan Square. It includes the history of the shopping center. I am actually "old"! enough to remember when it opened. [and the elephant escape! Poor thing!] My mom stopped going to our neighborhood market on Logan and Hammond Street and started shopping mainly at Kroger's and the other big stores that opened there. It would be great to see this area redeveloped. A true parking lot crater.
  • A full Planning Board packet just dropped. Of note are some details about H Inc.'s plan for that area by Saginaw and N Pennsylvania. It looks very copy and paste 4-unit, mini rowhouses. I hope the city or others can encourage him to add some variety. Otherwise it will be cool to finally see some development after so much demolition.
    Also up is the first step to purchase property for the music venue and media center at Washington Ave. and W Lenawee St. I wish it was still going to be big enough to rival Wharton and had the apartment component, but I am still supportive of it being approved.