MSU Development

Comments

• edited March 2023
    Could the unannounced building possibly be a parking garage? Kind of an unfortunate (if convenient) spot, but the new technology building wipes out lot 56 on the southwest corner.

The map also shows a possible expansion of the education building, and green space on the northwest corner of Shaw/Farm, both of which also currently have parking.

One garage to wipe out 3 lots?
  • @mindbender I don't think it'd be a parking garage as the potential parking sites are labeled by greyed out "P" icons, unless they just didn't label it as such because it's already approved as opposed to "potential". I'd agree that would be a horrible spot for a parking ramp, between Shaw & Spartan Stadium would seem much more sensible. I double checked this and last year's trustee meeting agendas and found nothing on this new building or anything much of note...

...Other than that MSU just purchased the Eyde office buildings at Hagadorn & Hannah. I wouldn't be surprised to see MSU establish more of their public interfacing medical facilities over here and if MSU ever establishes a university run hospital I wouldn't be too surprised if it were on this property.
  • edited March 2023

hood -
    All the known projects are there with one additional one, a large building filling up the entirety of the west parking lot at the Shaw Ln split. This is a very prominent spot and there are no new projects of this scale listed on the MSU construction projects site so it's a mystery for now
    Question - where do did you read/see this? Can't find it in the documentation links you shared.
  • @P2005 There's a map on page 8 labeled "Development Framework Concept". The solid dark burgundy color represents projects approved by the board of trustees, the map shows all the buildings that I'm aware of being approved in that color: the multicultural building (NE corner of Farm & Shaw), new IM (SE corner of Harrison & Shaw), new engineering building (SW corner of Red Cedar & Shaw) and the new plant & environmental sciences building (NW corner of Farm & Wilson). Then there's a large block of that same color between north & south Shaw west of Red Cedar, there's nothing I see on the MSU current projects list that matches up with it.

MSU current projects list:
    https://ipf.msu.edu/real-estate-and-capital-planning/current-projects?page=0

Page 8 of this PDF:
    https://firebasestorage.googleapis.com/v0/b/michigan-state-28019.appspot.com/o/MSU Facilities and Land Use Plan_BOT December Review.pdf?alt=media&token=d3519f54-f3b8-4c01-a437-4f35e1f6dcc4
  • Thanks for posting this information, now when I walk by the Farm Lane Bridge, I can understand the removal of all the trees and greenery in that area. It does seem a bit strange to see the plan for building a pedestrian bridge right there next to the Farm Lane Bridge which is depicted as having wide sidewalks on both sides of the road. I think a pedestrian bridge further east upriver would make more sense, as there are none on the eastern side of campus.
  • edited March 2023
    @hood - thanks. Yes, that is not even in the short-term plan to my knowledge. That structure has always been a long term goal. I keep in touch with Stephen Troost, the MSU campus planner, in charge of the campus master planning. I've asked him about it bc it's been on campus planning documents in the past. Last he mentioned, it'd be an "iconic" looking building as that is the entrance to the center of campus and, currently, we don't really have an iconic building on our campus. Think "Old Main" on PSU campus or Angell Hall on UM's campus. It probably won' be columned or anything like that, but a building that represents MSU moving forward.
  • I thought we talked on the last page that the the ped bridge is because Farm Lane is going to be out for quite sometime. Farm Lane gets a lot of pedestrian use.
  • @p2005 Thanks for the info, it's very reassuring to hear that they are planning for something noteworthy at that site. I hope they do something there sooner than later, seeing that parking lot is always a little depressing. If you ever hear anything that you can share please feel free to do so, I know I always appreciate some inside knowledge or insight.

I still wonder why they have it singled out as a project that is approved though? I guess time will tell.
  • edited March 2023
    @hood will do! I actually just emailed with Stephen. They're at the end stretch of finalizing the campus master plan (https://projects.sasaki.com/msu/) and going to have open houses at the new STEM building 4/11 + 4/12. I asked him to do something virtual for folks who can't be there in person. Hopefully, he does that or at least release the materials that are presented at that time. They've done a good job of dropping docs on the Sasaki site. You all should attend if you live in the area. I imagine promotion of this will be on MSUToday, MSU IPF site and social media so look out for more details.
  • Thanks, I guess I missed the earlier explanation. Seeing the drawings helped.