MSU Development

Comments

• @P2005 Good to know about the open houses, I'll have to try to make it depending on the time. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.
  • I noticed what looks to be a staging area was set up this week in front of the MUS Auditorium this week. Also, a sign noting the closing of the lot in front of the West IM. Looks like these projects are getting ready to start soon.
  • @hood did you make it to the Open Houses? I just saw on social media they happened yesterday and today. I don't think they did a good job of promoting them. Curious if you made it and had thoughts.
  • @P2005 Nope, I did not hear about it unfortunately.
  • There is land excavating and lots of fencing around the Farm and Shaw site. I was wondering what is going on in front of the MSU Auditorium, lots of digging there too.
  • In other digging news, crews are digging up the outdoor swimming pool behind the IM West. It's kind of sad as it was such a great place for summer term students to hang out. I guess the only pool at MSU will be in the IM East. I was a swimmer and lifeguard, so I used to be in the pool a lot.
  • @gbdinlansing
    There is land excavating and lots of fencing around the Farm and Shaw site. <--Multi-Cultural Center is being built there.
    I was wondering what is going on in front of the MSU Auditorium, lots of digging there too. <-- If I were to guess that's part of the reconstruction process for the Farm Lane bridge.

It is a stupid decision NOT to include a swimming pool in the new IM / Rec Center. There is virtually no aquatics opportunities for any student at the university now.
  • edited April 2023
    The Farm Lane bridge carries significant infrastructure, specifically power and telecommunications lines. The new bridge will carries these plus redundant/secondary water and steam mains to better help serve north campus as the existing ones under the river are nearly 60-70 years old.

So, yeah, not a simple bridge replacement. Farm Lane Bridge is infrastructure in every since of the word, it seems. lol
  • Thanks for the information, I am looking forward to watching these projects being built. BTW campus was really beautiful these past days with many trees and flowers blooming. The flowering trees in front of Dem. Hall framing Sparty are extra pretty this season, that was very nice of Mother Nature. There is a plaque in the garden honoring Dr Beal for his contributions to corn breeding, noting he was the first person to discover how to create a better ear of corn through cross breeding. Today there is a placard noting that it was the Native Americans who first created better corn crops from a little wild grass plant perhaps a thousand years before Dr. Beal did his research. I was very happy to see this little bit of our history corrected while still honoring Dr. Beal for his work.
  • Sounds like there's a decent chance that new pool, along with a reinstated swim/dive team, becomes an official part of the new IM plan by the time it breaks ground:

https://www.livingstondaily.com/story/news/local/community/brighton/2023/04/17/woman-with-brighton-ties-makes-500k-pledge-to-msu-in-husbands-memory/70121092007/?fbclid=IwAR1Ca3hY1VuoUb8KpA9ZlCCt_AdPI2zggpLj-RXYrUh9JmVE2cv788NR2Yk